FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controller card for sonnet fusion?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Sutcliffe
Controller card for sonnet fusion?
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:53:47 pm

Hello all,

I am looking for a more reliable raid option than disk utility for our G5 PCIe suite. I was wondering whether there is a card like the ATTO's which would provide hardware raid control for a Sonnet fusion D500P estata box? we already have one hooked up so if I can continue to use it, why not?

I did contact Atto re the R380 but they were actually unsure whether it would work being esata as opposed to SATA or SAS.

If anyone has a working solution I'd be grateful to hear it.

Richard Sutcliffe
Kinetic Media
Christchurch, NZ

Richard Sutcliffe
Kinetic Media
Christchurch, NZ

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
Re: Controller card for sonnet fusion?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 12:05:09 am

the D500P is an obsolete product, that is based on port multiplication and the Silicon Image 3124 chipset (Sonnet used a similar Marvel chipset to drive the port multiplication, but it suffers the same problems). So what can you do - NOTHING - you have a RAID 0 product than cannot be used with the ATTO R380 or any RAID5 or RAID 6 card (and don't get me started about Highpoint).

Your box was designed to be used with the Sonnet E4P (or Cal Digit Fasta 4e or Firmtek cards), which are ALL RAID 0. Sonnet makes fantastic RAID 5 arrays, - but where does that leave you with your D500P - it leaves you knowwhere, just like all my clients with port multiplier products - a 3 - 4 year old technology, which is now useless.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sutcliffe
Re: Controller card for sonnet fusion?
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42:17 am

Thats what I wanted to know, thanks Bob.

Richard Sutcliffe
Kinetic Media
Christchurch, NZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]