FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use of SSD's

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Murphy
Use of SSD's
on Mar 5, 2013 at 1:26:31 am

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help me with this. I am looking to invest in some new hardware for my MacPros. I will be running Premiere, AE, Cinema 4D/Maya, and Resolve.

I am upgrading to a SSD for the OS and Applications, but I have heard mixed thoughts on whether or not to get SSD's for the media drive and the Cache/Scratch/Render drives.

What do you guys think?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Use of SSD's
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:43:46 am

[Ben Murphy] "I will be running Premiere, AE, Cinema 4D/Maya, and Resolve."

What file formats? (As far as SSDs are concerned, what matters is the bandwidth these file will require.)

[Ben Murphy] "I am upgrading to a SSD for the OS and Applications, but I have heard mixed thoughts on whether or not to get SSD's for the media drive and the Cache/Scratch/Render drives."

What were the negative considerations in those "mixed" reviews? SSDs are awesome, and more awesome in every way vs. spinning disks, with the exception of value (price per GB). The consideration of limited rewrites is not really in the realm of editing - it's more in 24/7 maximum IOPS scenarios like database servers.

So usually SSD purchase hinges on identifying bottlenecks, weak spots in your apps and workflow, and putting SSDs where they matter and help the most: boot/OS/apps, AE GPC, Pr cache/database, sometimes one SSD for all of them.

I haven't heard much of a boost from assigning SSDs to media and scratch volumes.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Ben Murphy
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:50:50 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

I use a variety of footage codecs. For editing: ProRes. For comping and Color Correct: Arri LogC, Red, etc.

So, I could use an SSD for the OS/Programs. A separate SSD for cache. And a HDD for Footage and media.

Right?

How big would you recommend for the SSD that holds cache?

What would you recommend for the footage and media drive?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:40:48 pm

[Ben Murphy] "So, I could use an SSD for the OS/Programs. A separate SSD for cache. And a HDD for Footage and media."

I'd start with one good 512GB SSD (Sammy 840 Pro, Intel 520), assign various folders to AE and PR caching (and possibly previews), and watch how they grow (or not) in size. After a few weeks or months of use, that'll tell you if you need more SSDs or not.

In favor of this approach:
- Simplicity. Complexity is the enemy of reliability, both in the number of devices, and in the time it takes to manage the configuration. Sharing resources makes a lot of sense; dedicating resources to a specific task (like a whole SSD for just caching) - only when there is a clear bottleneck.
- Sharing resources, reducing waste. Boot/OS/apps and exports don't need the speed 24/7 - those are occasional uses by nature. Caching and previews on the other hand are much more likely to be used all the time. It makes good sense to use one SSD for both.

Not in favor of this approach:
- nothing. :)

Media - a RAID0 (5,6) of mechanical drives. The number and type of drives depends on desired / required bandwidth. Usually two in RAID0 to start with; if you need larger capacity, faster speeds, better fault-tolerance - something like this plus two of these plus a controller.

Hope this helps. :)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]