FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 1 (mirror) for Project files

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
RAID 1 (mirror) for Project files
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:51:43 pm

We're hackintoshes and have 1 internal SSD drive running the OS. And 2 HDDs for other docs and project files. My plan was to RAID them together as RAID 1 (mirror) with Disk Utility. Although our IT guy says we can hardward RAID 1 them on the motherboard itself, rather than Disk Utility software RAID. All the media is on our faster external eSata drives. My question is, we'd like to have redundancy with the project files and other docs like we do with the media in RAID 5, but will we notice and performance issues running the project files from the RAID 1 set? I would think not, because the media is on another drive but want to be clear before we move to this.

What is the traditional set up for editing? Using FCP & PP CS6.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: RAID 1 (mirror) for Project files
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:38:03 pm

[Matt Campbell] "will we notice and performance issues running the project files from the RAID 1 set?"

Highly unlikely.

[Matt Campbell] "What is the traditional set up for editing? Using FCP & PP CS6."

One of the common setups: both media and projects on a RAID5 volume, routine backups to external drives.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: RAID 1 (mirror) for Project files
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:21:44 pm

Thx Alex. That's actually how I used to have my set up was both on same drive. But recently another post IT guy told me to keep the media on your fastest drive and project files on a separate drive, preferably another RAID'd one. But guess it doesn't really matter too much, as long as they're protected and backed up. thx.

We initially tried hardware RAID 1 with the RAID controller on the motherboard with the 2 drives, but the hackintosh chipset wasn't supported so we now went the disk utility software route. This hackintosh is new to me, but she's smokin fast.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]