FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Speed Q vs G-Speed eS with FCP & PProCS6

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
G-Speed Q vs G-Speed eS with FCP & PProCS6
on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:31:03 pm

Just saw this forum. Had posted in FCP but on hits. Thought there used to be a G-Tech forum. Ah well...

We're looking for a cost effective solution for RAID 5 storage. We're currently using a Lacie BigDisk 4.5TB RAID 5 via eSata. After running AJA disk speed test @ 1920x1080 10-bit 2Gb file, we're getting about 230Mbs read/write speeds. Anyway, drives are about full and we're looking to move to G-Tech. Mostly ProRes HD workflow, no broadcast work, yet, loads of web videos and client presentation/corporate videos.

On their site the G-Tech G-Speed Q shows faster read/write speeds, closer to the Lacie we have, than the eS does, even being the better model, it only shows speeds around 150-180 read/write. Which is better for a single storage unit RAID 5 solution? Q or eS, or stick with Lacie?

Q has built in internal RAID controller which says lower throughput than the 4-port external RAID controller of the eS. So why would the eS be showing slower speeds? Which drives are going to give me sustained throughput with FCP and ProRes 422, 422 HQ and the occasional uncomp HD streams.

Thoughts?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: G-Speed Q vs G-Speed eS with FCP & PProCS6
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:35:20 pm

all the drives you mention are not reliable.

If you like Lacie, buy this -
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10570

this is a professional product that uses the ATTO host adaptor card for your Mac.

if you like G-Tech, buy this -
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-es-pro.cfm

this too uses the ATTO host adaptor.

there are plenty of other professional drive arrays, that will do the same job, that are also teriffic. These companies include Cal Digit, Maxx Digital, Sonnet, Small Tree, ProMax, and lots of others that you see here advertised on Creative Cow. You buy junk, you get junk, and you get failure.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:22:44 pm

Thanks Bob. Always fun to see what you have to say. As much as I'd love to go SAS, we just don't have the $. I got about 2K for storage, I/O card, mixer, audio monitors and TV. Not going to be great system but will work for the type of work we're doing.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:53:30 pm

Matt,

FYI, for about 700.00 over your storage budget, we could do a 8TB RAID 5 EB800MS, with an Areca 1223X card, complete. RAID 5 speeds are 900MB/s read/write. You'd have a little less than 7TB usable after the RAID 5.

http://www.proavio.com/index.php/products/desktop/eb800ms

We have advertised on the Cow in the past, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:21:29 pm

Stick to Lacie, or buy a Sonnet R400, both reliable. The next step is SAS, faster but more expensive. Keeo Bobs words in mind! I've never regretted the most expensive solutions.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]