FORUMS: list search recent posts

replacement drives for HD Pro

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angus Mackay
replacement drives for HD Pro
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:11:46 pm

Hi All,

I need to build a new raid, for which I'm going to use a CalDigit HDPro I have left over from a previous system. The drives are too small (500gb) and it's a budget build so I can't on this occasion justify the premium for CalDigit's own replacement caddys (I realise that this can be a bit contentious, but I've spent a lot of money with CalDigit and on this occasion the unit is out of warranty and it's a short term build.)

The original drives are Hitachi Deskstars, so I guess 2tb or 3tb Deskstars should be fine. Are there any other drives that I could use instead of the Hitachi's? Seagate Barracudas or WD Reds, perhaps?

It'll be running on a MacPro with SL

many thanks

Angus

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: replacement drives for HD Pro
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:18:09 am

The problem you might encounter is that new hard drives are 6G drives, while your HDPro most likely came with 3G drives and a 3G backplane. This has been known to potentially cause issues when the drives are striped together in RAID arrays. So, you could wind up with eight new hard drives that just don't generate the sustained throughput that it did with the drives it was designed for.

Since the HDPro has been discontinued, it's possible the folks at CalDigit might at least be willing to give you some tech support guidance.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Angus Mackay
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:19:29 am

Thanks very much David, that's really useful info.

Angus

Return to posts index

Angus Mackay
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:23:38 am

David,

Do you have any idea what the performance difference might be? And would there be stability issues or simply that performance difference?

thanks

A

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:22:50 pm

Angus,

Not to discount what David Roth Weiss (my friend) says, but after consulting with our technicians here, (at Proavio), you should be able to use 6Gb/s drives in that product, it will be backward compatible & you should get the same performance as you did with 3Gb/s drives. Hope that helps.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:26:58 pm

There you go Angus... Since Jon used to be with CalDigit you just got the check-in I recommended.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:29:59 pm

Angus & David.

Ultimately Angus, with what David said & what I know, it'll either work or it won't. If CalDigits' hardware,(backplane) locks you out, then it won't work. Figured with you out of warranty though, what have you to lose? Another idea would be to use that HDPro as is, with it's lower capacity drives, reformat? as at least you know the product works with the drives that came with it.

I just wanted to hold off on commenting until someone else did.

I even asked (via Skype) my old CalDigit contact about Angus' post, but they didn't reply....so I thought I'd do what I could to help.

Bottom line? Not to up-sell, but don't short change yourself either, always buy more capacity than you think you'll need.

I don't think anyone on this forum would disagree with that statement.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Angus Mackay
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:26:50 pm

Thanks gents,

Sorry, I've been snowed under for a couple of days so I haven't been able to check in.

I really appreciate the advice. I love CalDigit's stuff, it's been rock solid for me, but their mark up on the caddy's is, I'm afraid, not something I'm willing to swallow for a unit that's getting on a bit.

I've put Barracudas into an HDElement unit before and that worked out OK. I'll probably just go with those.

I actually bought an AVpro just this morning for doing short-term archiving, but I doubt I'll buy any more of the big units while the caddy mark-up continues to be what it is.

many thanks again

Angus

Return to posts index

Angus Mackay
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:50:23 pm

In case anyone is referencing this in future, I stacked it with Barracuda's and it worked a treat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]