FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Speed Es Pro - Power Up and Power down order ?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
G-Speed Es Pro - Power Up and Power down order ?
on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:58:42 am

Working on project with four G-Speed Es Pros. Two people at job say power up and shut down order is: Switch drives on, wait, boot Mac; quit apps, shut down Mac, switch drives off.

But, I hear a single beep on two of the four drives when switching them on (two drives with one Mac and two drives with the other). They are set up as RAID 5, I believe and are single partitions.

Recently on phone with G-Tech and they said drives should be ejected before shutting down like any other hard drive or flash drive, regardless that it's a G-Speed Es Pro.

The manual says:

7.2 The G-Tech RAID controller is also equipped with an audible alarm that sounds when:
1. A disk drive failure occurs or
2. When the G-SPEED eS PRO is removed from the RAID controller without first selecting “Unplug” in the Array Maintenance menu in the web GUI.

Is the 'alarm' the single Beep I hear upon switching on? What is the beep about?

How do I use the web local host to eject / unplug the drive? Or can I just Right Click > Eject ?

Anyone have experience with this?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: G-Speed Es Pro - Power Up and Power down order ?
on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:48:36 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "Recently on phone with G-Tech and they said drives should be ejected before shutting down like any other hard drive or flash drive, regardless that it's a G-Speed Es Pro. "

Not sure why they said that - when you shutdown the host computer, it flushes the cache and any pending write to the array, and that's the reason to shut it down first. "Ejecting" the array is only neccessary when you physically disconnect or power it down first.

[Rosie Walunas] "Working on project with four G-Speed Es Pros. Two people at job say power up and shut down order is: Switch drives on, wait, boot Mac; quit apps, shut down Mac, switch drives off."

That sounds good to me.

[Rosie Walunas] "Is the 'alarm' the single Beep I hear upon switching on? What is the beep about?"

Don't have any eS Pros in the shop now so not sure why it beeps on start-up; quite possibly it's completely normal. Have you tried checking ATTO RAID logs to see if everything appears healthy?

[Rosie Walunas] "How do I use the web local host to eject / unplug the drive? Or can I just Right Click > Eject ?"

Right-click -> Eject is the way to "unplug" it but I really don't think you need to do it with eS Pro and the shutdown procedure you're doing.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:56:57 pm

So you agree that the shutdown procedure I have been doing by shutting down the computer first, not ejecting the drives, switching off the drives is correct?

I am not planning on unplugging the drives any time soon, so I would not need to eject the drives until then, is that what you're saying?

About the single beep, do you think it's worth contacting another person at G-Tech about the beep? Lol, I hope they dont just tell me my power down order is wrong.

Thanks for your insight, if you have anything else to add, that would be great.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:59:13 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "So you agree that the shutdown procedure I have been doing by shutting down the computer first, not ejecting the drives, switching off the drives is correct?

I am not planning on unplugging the drives any time soon, so I would not need to eject the drives until then, is that what you're saying?"

Yes on both.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:52:41 am

So I just started a new session on drives after editor before me, turned on drives as usual by switching them on, hearing the single beep, then the drives did not initially mount. So I clicked Restart on the Mac and they mounted upon the Restart.

In the GUI local host for the drives here's what I see under Storage Health Inspector:

Drive 1 - Temp = N/A - Bad sectors found & replaced = None - Device Status = N/A
(same straight throught he four disks)

Drive 2 - Temp = 91-100 depending on use - Bad sectors found & replaced = 0 - Device Status = OK
(basically the same straight through)

Something has got to be askew with how things are being turned off or shut down no?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jan 30, 2013 at 2:16:41 pm

Hi Rosie,

very simple: First power up all external harddrives. Then power up the computer.
Shutting down: First shutting down the computer, then you can power off the external harddrives.

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35:27 pm

Right, just as has been happening. But what about the single beep that sounds when the drives get turned on on one of the two systems?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]