FORUMS: list search recent posts

Configuring a Central Server with RAID for our Editors

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kim
Configuring a Central Server with RAID for our Editors
on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21:15 pm

Hey guys,

We're currently in the process of upgrading our Post Production equipment and I'd love to get a feel for whats out there in regards to a central server system, where our editors can all work simultaneously (FCP/Premiere/Avid) and will be able to access all of our HD footage. Most of our footage is Prores 422 1080P so having a server that can deal with uncompressed HD would be great.

We have 3 editors, 1 colorist, and 1 2D/3D Artist. We are all on Mac Pro's and are currently using 5 slot edit bays with RAID. This has proved to be very cumbersome with the amount of footage being swapped around.

Would love some input and direction. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Configuring a Central Server with RAID for our Editors
on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:47:21 am

[James Kim] "Most of our footage is Prores 422 1080P so having a server that can deal with uncompressed HD would be great"

Could you elaborate on the "uncompressed" aspect? ProRes is a compressed format; uncompressed HD does change the requirements dramatically, nearly always necessitating FC-based SAN.

GB Labs Space and Maxx Digital Final Share come to mind as possible solutions for ProRes.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

James Kim
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:35:38 pm

Hi Alex,

I just discussed with my editor, he says uncompressed HD would only be applicable for future use. As of right now we primarily only use Pro Res 422 HQ Footage.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:49:59 am

exactly where are you located James - in the US ?

With AVID Media Composer, your choices are limited, even thought there are work arounds that can make anything work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

James Kim
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:37:48 pm

Hi bob, we're in Vancouver Canada.

Also, we rarely use Avid save for a couple projects. It wouldn't hurt us to isolate ourselves from Avid as the majority of our projects are FCP or Premiere Based.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Stephen McKenna
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:17:06 pm

Hi Jim,

I work for Studio Network Solutions (SNS) and based on your description I think our EVO server would fit perfectly into your environment. We have been designing SAN solutions for the media industry for 15 years now, and our products really shine in the kind of mixed environment you are describing. We have multiple solutions starting at well under $10,000.

EVO works seamlessly with FCP/Premiere/Avid as well as any other production application you may use. All of your editors will be able to share footage and work simultaneously. EVO can also support uncompressed HD/2k playback in real time. You mentioned having one Media Composer suite, if you choose to go with more Avid in the future EVO also features native Avid Bin/Project Sharing - at no extra cost.

We can mix and match multiple network topologies as well (i.e. 1GbE/10GbE, 4/8 Gb Fibre Channel) all within the same box. You can even add and/or change topologies as your needs evolve, for instance the EVO could start with GbE only and then add Fibre Channel or 10 GbE later down the road.

In addition the EVO could easily direct connect all of your current users over any of the network topologies listed above without the need for a costly switch. You can direct connect up to 8 x Fibre Channel clients or 16 x GbE clients or 12 x 10GbE clients.

If you would like to learn more about our systems or have any other general media SAN questions I would love to hear from you. I can also put you in touch with any of our existing clients for a reference or more guidance on your project. Please feel free to contact me at 314-775-8727.

Sincerely,
Stephen McKenna
Studio Network Solutions
smckenna@studionetworksolutions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:05:00 pm

Maxx Digital LOVES Studio Network Solutions, so why don't you make your first call to Stephen, and then call the others, as recommended by Alex.

And since I know that every one of the "competitors" reads this forum and the SAN networks forum, don't you think that all of "us" should make Alex a dealer, as he is a top reseller in LA ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:11:49 pm

[Bob Zelin] "And since I know that every one of the "competitors" reads this forum and the SAN networks forum, don't you think that all of "us" should make Alex a dealer, as he is a top reseller in LA ?"

Was thinking the same thing - thanks for the kind words Bob. Will get in touch with the respective players. :)

Return to posts index

Matt Stone
on Jan 25, 2013 at 7:51:19 pm

Hi James,

At Maxx Digital we deal with shared storage on a daily basis. Our Final Share system is designed around simplicity. It is very easy for editors to use, and share files. We have the ability to connect via 10Gig/e and allow you to do uncompressed HD or multiple streams of Prores. Give us a call for more details.

Matt Stone
Maxx Digital

Matt Stone
Maxx Entertainment Digital
3189 Redhill Ave. Unit B
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Telephone:(714) 374-4944
Fax: (714) 374-3404

Return to posts index

James Kim
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:00:14 pm

Thank you Stephen, I will look into your solutions and contact you in the next couple days.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]