FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to go from Macbook Pro Retina to non ThBlt RAID

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ramsay palmer
Best way to go from Macbook Pro Retina to non ThBlt RAID
on Jan 5, 2013 at 2:01:29 am

I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 8.0TB RAID and a brand new Macbook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i5). Of course, the OWC RAID does not have Thunderbolt, but has FW 800 and eSATA, which the Mac doesn't have.

What is the best way to go from my new thunderbolt mac to my eSATA/FW800 RAID? Anyone have a similar setup?

Also, I contacted OWC and they are pushing the LaCie eSATA Hub, but it is expensive. Anyone, know weather the performance justifies the price over simply using FW800 adaptor?

Thank you all,

Ramsay Palmer

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Best way to go from Macbook Pro Retina to non ThBlt RAID
on Jan 5, 2013 at 3:13:45 am

LaCie seems to be the only game in town in that price range.

[ramsay palmer] "Anyone, know weather the performance justifies the price over simply using FW800 adaptor?"

It does, you'll likely see speeds in excess of 200MB/s vs. FireWire 800's 60-ish MB/s, i.e. four times the speed.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jan 5, 2013 at 3:29:12 am

Sonnet Echo, and together with a Sonnet Tempo Sata Pro 6GB 4-Port PCIe Card will do the job. So you can connect 4 eSata ports over Thunderbolt. There are also lots of other PCIe esata Cards on the market. I tend to stick to one branch.

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Jeff Hall
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:15:14 am

I am running a MacBookPro 17' with a LaCie Thunderbolt to eSATA hub. I thought it was a better and cheeper solution to the Sonnet.

I just installed a Sans Digital 5 bay RAID set to RAID5 and am in the process of testing it. The LaCie has been in my system for a couple months now and is in a chain with a Thunderbolt Cinema Display and a Matrox MX02. All works !! When I initially put the LaCie in the signal path I had some odd problems and thought it was not working in my application but after switching around Thunderbolt cables it started working transparently. Don't know what I did but to this day the only "strange" behavior is when I unplug the MacBookPro to take it on the road and come back and plug it back in the LaCie seems to loose something (its link??) since the auto on/off of the unit seems to loose track. So when I take the MacBookPro I just unplug the LaCie and make sure to re-plug it in BEFORE connecting the MacBook back up and powering on.
I had only a LG (I think) Bluray burner hooked to it as it does not support PM (port multiplier) on the eSATA connections (sad!) so my other multi-drive connections are through an Expresscard 34 to eSATA. So I have been editing to the Expresscard eSATA and burning to the Bluray burner through the LaCie until I got the RAID rack. And it is performing as expected through the LaCie/eSATA hub.

Just thought I would throw this in here to let you know it all works! Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jeff Hall
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:21:32 pm

Correction to my previous... When I return and hook my system back up I plug all the MacBookPro cabling in INCLUDING the thunderbolt cable while the computer is off, THEN re-plug the LaCie Hub power back into the LaCie and THEN turn on my laptop. The auto on/off function of the LaCie acts normal from then on.

The problem I would have is if I left the LaCie plugged in to power and took the laptop on the road, when I hooked the laptop back up and turned the computer on everything would be normal. But when I shut the computer down the LaCie Hub would stay on so I would have to pull its power and re-plug at that time.

Thats the only issue with it.

I have been transferring footage to the RAID for about 8 hours now and am getting a very non-scientific transfer rate of about 1 gig every 8 to 15 seconds (as measured on the stopwatch!) depending on the source (Expresscard eSATA or FW800 drives. So as I have no experience with RAID I just figure this is a consequence of my choosing RAID5 which I have read slows writes as it calculates parity. My speed seems to be hovering around 100meg per second, though.
I will be interested to see how the RAID performs when I get to edit some of the footage and playback a timeline through a Matrox MX02.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]