FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atto R680 and Stardom Sohotank file system raid failure

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Sanborn
Atto R680 and Stardom Sohotank file system raid failure
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:04:58 pm

I am having a major issue with my raid system and need some help. I am using an Atto express sas R680 as my raid controller which is hooked up to a Stardom Sohotank 8 bay enclosure. The Drives are 3TB seagate barracuda. The drives have been set up as two separate 12TB raid 0 volumes. This is being run on windows 7 ultimate and is used for offloading of camera media for backup. The Raid had been running with no issues for a few months. On a recent job during a typical offload from an SSD card to both of the volumes I noticed a dramatic decrease in transfer speed and cancelled the off load operation. I shut down the computer and restarted. On restart The ATTO banner showed up before getting into OS and showed that it did not recognize any raid volumes. Once fully booted into the OS both volumes were missing and did not mount. I restarted the computer a couple times and the raid volumes never mounted. I moved the ATTO card and enclosure into another machine with the same results. In the disk management window the volumes showed up unallocated but in the ATTO config tool they showed up as online and healthy. I have attached some screen grabs of the ATTO config tool and the the Disk management page that were taken after the problem occurred.

My system specs are

Asus sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950
ATTO R680 (Bios September 27th 2012 the driver version is 2.19)
Windows 7 Ultimate

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Atto R680 and Stardom Sohotank file system raid failure
on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:58:41 am

Something I don't quite understand. At first you write:

[Kyle Sanborn] "On restart The ATTO banner showed up before getting into OS and showed that it did not recognize any raid volumes."

Then you write:

[Kyle Sanborn] "In the disk management window the volumes showed up unallocated but in the ATTO config tool they showed up as online and healthy."

If the ATTO controller doesn't recognize any raid volumes, they won't show up in Windows at all. The 2nd part only makes sense if you re-initialized the RAID volumes in ATTO management utility, and in that case, they'd show up in Windows asking to specify partition type, like in one of your screenshots.

I'd call ATTO right away.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Kyle Sanborn
on Jan 4, 2013 at 7:00:45 pm

Hi Alex,

That was what I thought as well when at startup it showed no volumes recognized but when looking in the disk management window two unallocated volumes where there. Will Initializing the disks wipe everything or is there a way repair the disks in some way?

Kyle

Return to posts index

Kyle Sanborn
on Jan 5, 2013 at 1:34:15 am

I have sent a log file to ATTO as well which came back with no errors from the card.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 5, 2013 at 2:03:35 am

[Kyle Sanborn] "That was what I thought as well when at startup it showed no volumes recognized but when looking in the disk management window two unallocated volumes where there"

The controller reports no RAID sets (not really volumes) for a bunch of drives but TWO uninitialized volumes show up in disk manager? This is a supernatural experience, it can't be happening if we go by conventional IT wisdom.

Please hire a tech or consultant to trouble-shoot this for you.

[Kyle Sanborn] "Will Initializing the disks wipe everything or is there a way repair the disks in some way?"

There is a way but it's not trivial. It's been a while since I did research on data and partition recovery software so I can't vouch for any specific product; here is one I ran across.

Before you try any data recovery, you'd need to make sure the RAID sets are back to where they were - i.e. do not try data recovery until the controller fully recognizes the volumes.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bradley Stuckel
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:03:48 pm

I think I have seen a post that may discuss the same concern. There was never an actual solution that was posted as I imagine it may become quite lengthy.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/292/1224

It looks like you may need the assistance of Bob Zelin???

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:40:21 pm

Kyle,

Is this still current? (The screenshot of two active RAID0 groups, 4 drives each.)

If so, what do you mean when you say the following?

[Kyle Sanborn] "On restart The ATTO banner showed up before getting into OS and showed that it did not recognize any raid volumes."

Any chance you could take a screenshot of that? (Puzzling that the config utility shows active RAID groups, yet the boot up screen says there're none.)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Kyle Sanborn
on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:04:29 pm

Yes those screen grabs are all still current. On start up where you are able access your computers bios there is a short ATTO screen that allows you to hit CTRL Z and access things like drive spin up time. There are some basic functions you can set for the card in this screen instead of using the ATTO config tool. This screen is where I was witnessing 0 volumes or groups recognized.

Return to posts index

Kyle Sanborn
on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:55:14 pm

Here are images I just took of the startup screen with the system hooked up. I should clarify that what I don't understand is why it is showing Devices 0 Function 0 and only 2 of 10 devices on channel 1.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:52:30 am

[Kyle Sanborn] "I should clarify that what I don't understand is why it is showing Devices 0 Function 0 and only 2 of 10 devices on channel 1"

PCIe device enumeration, nothing to do with RAID per se. Two devices - two volumes. Channels - MiniSAS ports, most likely.

OK Ctrl-Z does show the same thing as the ATTO config utility. The RAID groups are active and healthy. The next step is attempting data recovery.

Ideally you'd want to hire someone like Bob Zelin or me to attempt it. To hire me, it's $200 for the first two hours (and usually it's done - or not - within that time), not sure about what Bob would charge. You'd need to install TeamViewer or a similar app to allow remote access.

Alternately, use one of the recovery software choices available. Download a trial first, see what it tells you. Proceed with caution, always in "read-only" mode first.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]