FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good storage vs. bad storage

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Good storage vs. bad storage
on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:19:09 am

Hi -
as many of you know, I often make fun of certain manufacturers, and one of them is Other World Computing. But the fact is, that ALL of the drive companies that you see advertise here on Creative Cow have "the good stuff" and also have "crap. This applies to everyone, because everyone wants to sell something to someone, no matter what their budget.

SO, I recall seeing the wonderful Jupiter arrays from Other World Computing at NAB 2012, and I just thought of them (as we approach 2013 and NAB 2013), and I looked up the Other World Computing Jupiter series drives. And after looking at this wonderful product, I can now say that Other World Computing joins the ranks of the other pro companies that make "crap" and make "the good stuff" -

well - this is the "good stuff" from Other World Computing -
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/storage/Enterprise/jupiter/mini-SAS

As you can see, it is competitive in price range to the other "good stuff" from the other good brands.

Moral - you don't get something for nothing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Good storage vs. bad storage
on Dec 18, 2012 at 1:53:46 am

[Bob Zelin] "SO, I recall seeing the wonderful Jupiter arrays from Other World Computing at NAB 2012, and I just thought of them (as we approach 2013 and NAB 2013), and I looked up the Other World Computing Jupiter series drives. And after looking at this wonderful product, I can now say that Other World Computing joins the ranks of the other pro companies that make "crap" and make "the good stuff" - "

Bob, what do you like about Jupiter? (How is it different from similar products?)

(While I really liked the few OWC products I worked with, Jupiter seems overpriced for a non-Tier-1 solution, and somewhat short on critical specs. E.g. their 16-bay box has to have a built-in expander - why don't they mention that, and why only two ports? Oh and the plastic on their drive carriers seems cheesy... :()

(I don't want to contradict you - I know how dangerous that is - just curious. :p)

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:21:03 am

Good storage works for years without problems. Bad storage creates problems for years.

I think that if a manufacturer uses good solid components for their raids, the raid is worth buying. So far the raid can't be cheap. I#ve never regretted the most expensive invests within my equipment. The cheap ones, have been those, I replaced within a short time span.
What we can achieve here with our experience, is to give advice for good, but affordable equipment. Equipment which meets exactly the needs the user expects. For some esata might be the best choice, others need FC raids. In most cases we really don't know what components several companies uses for their arrays. It's just when we work with it for years, we can say something fundamental. So let us share our experience!
It's good to know that Bob is sharing his opinion with us.

cheers Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:11:50 pm

I only brought this up Alex, because without question, someone will soon post "I found this 40 terabyte drive array for $399 - can I use this for shared storage". There are LOTS of people on these forums that want to compare brand x with brand y, where brand x is expensive, and brand y is dirt cheap. Yes, I know that there is really nothing that is special about the Jupiter series than other good quality SAS/SATA arrays on the market - I am only trying to point out that EVERYONE (including OWC) makes "good stuff" and makes "junk" and that there will always be a new post with saying "how come I can't use this drive array I found on the web for 200 bucks to do uncompressed 4K 3D images ?". This has happened most with OWC products, and I am just trying to point out that OWC now has "professional" products, and professional prices.

Nothing more -
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:58:16 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I am just trying to point out that OWC now has "professional" products, and professional prices. "

Amen. Understood.

(Speaking of OWC, and completely on a side note: if you ever need to mount an SSD in a swappable 3.5" SAS/SATA bay on a backplane (like in a Z800/Z820), or in Jupiter, for instance - AdaptaDrive is the best solution I've seen.)

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:48:32 pm

Thats not what the product was said to be though is it Bob ?

Was a shared storage solution with a switch.

s

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:03:05 pm

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/storage/Enterprise/jupiter/mini-SAS

Simon - what are you talking about - look at this link.
This is STORAGE, not shared storage with a switch. It can be used for shared storage, and I believe that Jupiter uses a PCIe switch to connect multiple arrays, but exactly what are you implying Simon ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:09:10 pm

Lol.. I'm not implying anything.

I'm saying that last time I talked to OWC when it was first annouced they were doing the storage and a switch as a jupiter san.

Can you see a switch ?

All I was saying was it seems they have the storage but dropped the switch part they were doing.

s

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 19, 2012 at 11:37:02 pm

they showed a PCIe switch (like JMR sells) at NAB2012. I don't see it in their ad campaign.

The whole point of my post is that we ALWAYS get some schmo on these forums that says "I can't play back uncompressed 4k DPX files on my Mac Book Air - is their anything I can buy from (OWC) for under 100 dollars?". Well, there isn't anything for under $100 dollars, but now there IS something from OWC that they can buy. Part of my ongoing Rants on these forums is from people that want to do the most hi end state of the art stuff, and want to spend zero money to accomplish this. OWC is often in these posts - well, I wanted to point out that OWC now sells "the good stuff" too.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:00:07 am

My pair of OWC Sata 3.0 SSDs (Now there are Sata 6es) have been keeping their promise from the word, "Go!". Put some of these in your own storage or the one you are building or getting, and you are rolling.
i haven`t given mine the under 50 degrees Fahrenheit/ 9 degrees Centigrade test, that many magnetic hard drives fail, yet, so hold your breath.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]