FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonnet D400QR5 drive fail, rebuild

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
Sonnet D400QR5 drive fail, rebuild
on Dec 13, 2012 at 8:11:58 am

There's no Sonnet forum here, nor can I find one online.

Have a client's Sonnet D400QR5. One drive showed a red flashing light. And display says 'Degraded'. All Error statistics are good, and drive continues to function normally. But I've assumed there's a drive failure, which support confirms too.

Sonnet support in my country (India) shipped out a bare drive which I replaced in the RAID. Now I expect the RAID to be rebuilt. But it now says 'RAID halted invalid'.
So I put back the old drive. Red flashing light reappears, but at least my data is all visible.

I'm awaiting a new replacement RAID to copy data to before doing anything else. But, has anyone swapped a drive in a Sonnet D400QR5? Does it rebuild by itself? Or is there some sequence of buttons to accomplish this?
I did read the sparse manual, and went over the various menu options (carefully of course), but can't find how to rebuild a RAID after a drive replacement.

Anyone with experience in this?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Sonnet D400QR5 drive fail, rebuild
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:22:52 pm

Hi Neil,

sometimes it rebuilds itsself, sometimes you have to press one of the buttons on the back to confirm.
First of all: You seem to be on Raid 5, so save your data. What you just can try is to swap drives and do a total rebuild on Raid 5 (How you do this is documented in the Raid manual). In our case we had a controller failure and it didn't matter which Harddisc we used, the failure was always with slot 3. So it was clear to me that we would need a new chassis. Sonnet replaced it without asking.
It could also be just a bad Harddisc. Replace it when its switched on (Hot-swap) and confirm with one of the two buttons on the back. Then it will start rebuilding. It says this on the small display above the buttons.

Cheers

Rainer

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Sonnet D400QR5 drive fail, rebuild
on Dec 13, 2012 at 6:13:25 pm

Neil,

Have you tried contacting Sonnet support in the US? I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help out.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]