FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affordable raid setup?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garske
Affordable raid setup?
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:24:41 pm

I'm looking to build my first raid array for as little money as possible. The unit will be hooked up to a Windows 7 64-bit machine and will eventually house raw footage from the Black Magic Camera to edit in Premiere and After Effects. Here's an enclosure that I found on Newegg that I'm thinking of using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816321013&Tpk=Habey%2...

I have done a little research but most of what I've read points me to more expensive options. Can anyone offer any advice on this Habey unit as to whether or not it will work for my needs? Or suggest any other inexpensive options.

Also, does anyone know which brand/model of drives would work best with this setup?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Affordable raid setup?
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:35:49 pm

Whow, 500 bucks for mini SAS sounds to me like a bargain. I don't know anything about this raid. Is there a controller card with it? I doubt it. We work with a sonnet R800 flawlessly for years. Raid card comes with it. Drives are Hitachis Ultrastars.
But it doesn't come for 500 Bucks.
This is just my shared experience. I just want to learn. I don't say that this SAS enclosure is bad choice. I just doesn't know anything about it.

Cheers

Rainer

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:51:37 pm

The internal setup looks a bit like those found in Norco cases. They are equally priced, do the job just fine, but they are loud. They keep the drives very cool but they are really built to be rack mounted in machine and server rooms, not for sitting on your desktop. 12 drives generate quite a bit of heat and server grade fans can be super loud so be aware.

You know that you will need a raid card to use this, right? That box alone won't do anything. The raid card is really where it's at, also with regard to what drives being used etc.
Go with an Areca card and Hitachi drives, see if that case is suitable for your purpose noise wise. Otherwise consider maybe an 8-drive enclosure which was actually designed for desktop usage (Areca, Proavio etc.). Performance wise, they'll all do what you need it for... and beyond.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:45:00 am

[Frank Gothmann] "The internal setup looks a bit like those found in Norco cases."

Non-expander boxes - sure. Norco SAS Expander boxes are still quite a bit more expensive, which makes this one look a little TGTBT (too good to be true).

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:36:15 am

I ran into this too, and nearly any other SAS expanders are over $1K for a similar box. So it's a bargain, with a couple of caveats:
- it's 3G SAS, not 6G
- may not work with other enclosure brands for expansion / daisy-chaining
- Support may be non-existent or hard to reach

My favorite drives are HGST Ultrastars 7K3000 and 7K4000 series.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Dec 22, 2012 at 4:08:04 am

Sorry I left this alone for a while. I got very busy very suddenly.

Under my friend's recommendation I purchased two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816856039&nm_mc=EMC-I...

I'd like to put in these drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

I'm sure these aren't the best but I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. Will this setup work? Does anyone have any insights on using Seagates for raid or with the CINEraid company?

Thanks for your posts!

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 22, 2012 at 4:16:20 am

I like these boxes a lot - have had one on my desk for almost a year. Not very fast but easy to set up, easy on the eye, quiet, tool-less. I think it's the best 4-bay box out there, just wish they supported UASP (which is supposed to make it faster with USB 3.0) and had a handle.

Seagate Barracudas are fine for RAID0 (not so much for RAID5).

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Dec 22, 2012 at 4:51:59 am

That's great to hear. What drives and raid configuration did you have on yours?

Also, what were the read/write speeds you observed? Do you think these will be fast enough to edit raw footage from?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:25:27 am

[Michael Garske] "What drives and raid configuration did you have on yours? "

HGST Deskstars 2TB 7K3000 in RAID5 over eSATA.

[Michael Garske] "Also, what were the read/write speeds you observed? Do you think these will be fast enough to edit raw footage from?"

About 200MB/s r/w. The volume is 75% full so these aren't the best numbers. What type of raw footage are we talking about, what camera / file format?

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Dec 26, 2012 at 11:10:17 pm

So I just called the "tech support" at CineRaid. I must say that the experience didn't instill a lot of confidence as far as their support goes. Unfortunately English isn't their first language. I get the impression that they are a smaller company with possibly only one or two people for tech support. The only drive they could recommend is this WD which is quite expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236351&Tpk=wd3000f...

I think steering clear of the Seagates is a good idea, so I'm considering these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758518-REG/Hitachi_0S03086_3TB_Deskst...

From what I've read, Hitachis are the way to go but I figured I'd check here as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Dec 26, 2012 at 11:15:09 pm

Also, this CineRaid unit doesn't require a raid card correct? It would seem all I need is the included software.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 27, 2012 at 1:17:17 am

[Michael Garske] "Also, this CineRaid unit doesn't require a raid card correct? It would seem all I need is the included software."

Does not. Even the software is optional.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]