FORUMS: list search recent posts

general thoughts of raid systems

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
general thoughts of raid systems
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:04:42 pm

Hi folks,

It's very simple. A Raid should just work in the background. Forget about it - till it doesn't work. I quote Walter Biscardi. So there are the costs. A good reliable raid system is expensive. We all know about it. So our professional recommondations for a system we care about are the usual choices. The main problems accur, when you don't have enough money, which most of us don't want to spent.
So for me as a senior video editor I want to get the best system available to be as creative as possible, and have the least thinking of "is my raid working properly". If you take this in mind the best raid is the cheapest raid. It just works at least five years without thinking about it.
So, what are your opinions about raids? What are your phillosophies.

Join in.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: general thoughts of raid systems
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:34:10 pm

It's always cost vs. benefit, and both of these mean different things to different editors (and people).

In a facility where storage downtime costs $5K an hour, uptime has a different value vs. to someone who edits on the weekends.

Sure, for some "the cheapest RAID" is the best RAID - and I don't know too many of those, and they are just unlikely to hire me. :)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]