Impossible to mount volume on ATTO 644

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Bartholo
Impossible to mount volume on ATTO 644
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:21:34 pm

Hi,

I've been looking around for solution for days now but nothing would work,
I have a ATTO 644 in a macpro running 4x 3TB drive in RAID 5.
Hardware wise, it seems working fine, but recently, some people at the office have been copying hudge amount of data both upload and download with the same account over several computers.

Now the volume is visible in disk utility, but impossible to mount,
Hardware wise, atto test tells me the array has no problem at all and i've tried Techtool pro to get the volume back online.
It worked well, then a few minutes later, the volume became read only, i've run again techtool pro, and since then, impossible to mount the volume and or transfer anything.

Any suggestion on what i should be doing ?
I've tried disk warrior without success, can't even see the volume, and now Techtool pro just tells me that there is a problem whenever i try to get the volume structure repaired.

The volume is an HFS+
It's been running fine for more than a year, i can't figure out what is going on.... or what i should do.
We have backed up most of the files, but still we have some data that are not yet transfered and now we can't figure how to access those...

Any suggestion or help is more than welcome.
ALex

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Impossible to mount volume on ATTO 644
on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:28:48 pm

Alsoft Disk Warrior.
Much better than Tech Tool Pro.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alexandre Bartholo
on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:55:22 pm

I've already tried but DW wouldn't see the volume in the list of volume.
Is DW capable of mounting volume from ATTO raid card ?
Are there any other tools than those 2 on the market that could help me ?

Alex

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 18, 2012 at 5:27:55 pm

Can you use disk utility to verify the disk even if you can't mount it?

Or run 'fsck_hfs' from the command line/terminal on the block device to see if that works?

It would be something like "sudo /sbin/fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk1s1" where "disk1s1" is the Disk Identifier in the Information window in Disk Utility. You should be able to glean this information by clicking on the volume in question (not the parent device) and clicking the info button.

Sometimes the command may need to be run more than once when problems are found.

Filesystem faults, rare as they may be, do happen and it's important to remember that the RAID controller will not report filesystem errors and although filesystem errors can be related to RAID issues it is possible the RAID-level layers of the system are running fine and physically the disks are ok.

If you do get it up, even in read only mode. It's time to make a complete backup if you don't have one already as awful as finding 12 more TB of hard disk might be to both one's sanity and wallet.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Alexandre Bartholo
on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:54:05 am

Thanks for the advice,
I'm out of the office but i'll be back on monday,
I'll try that and upload the result,

"Crossing fingers"

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved