FORUMS: list search recent posts

smalltree titanium vs. sonnet Rx1600

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joachim Freitag
smalltree titanium vs. sonnet Rx1600
on Oct 13, 2012 at 7:18:30 am

hi!

we have to expand pur storage capacities. i would prefer a sonnet RX1600 connected to a macpro. the macpro is connected via a smalltree 6port ethernet trunk to our LAN switch. our workstations are connected via a 2port trunk.

a colleague in our IT came up with smalltree's titanium16. no mac pro required.

what's yout opinion? pro's and con's?

thanks!

joachim.freitag@me.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: smalltree titanium vs. sonnet Rx1600
on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:56:32 am

both are professional solutions. It's the price that counts, and with sonnet you can choose your own drives. I don't know whether you have to buy small tree drives (If so then this is expensive).

Rainer

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: smalltree titanium vs. sonnet Rx1600
on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:07:13 pm

Hi Joachim,

I saw your post and wanted to lend a response.

Note:
I read that you are trunking two ports together on your Mac.
Just a tip that although the idea is a good one, its not doing anything to improve your performance any.

Client Workstations:
AFP, SMB, NFS etc.. are all what they refer to as "single socket" protocols.
The traffic your are sending and receiving will only be moving over one of these ports at any given time, not both at the same time. (some applications are written to provide "multi threaded network support") but the OS doesn't work like this by default in the way you might think. When your Mac connects to your server, its established over the logical connection to use.

Server Head:
Link aggregation was really designed for servers. It will provide the most benefit here when you need a lot of users connected. It is going to focus on the server side where you need more bandwidth and network connection access. It's often used in a "many to one" concept. (ie...10 workstations load balancing over 8 link aggregated ports.)

If you have two workstations or six workstations, you can directly connect those to the server. If you have twelve stations and six ports on the server, you connect the users to a switch and start setting up link agg on the server. This is the ideal method for a large majority.

If you are looking for an easy to understand, very reliable, easy to set up real time video NAS network using 1GbE and/or 10GbE networking Small Tree has a wonderful solution that works. (damn near right out of the box)

Even if you seek information, Small Tree is useful to help you in your research.

It's true that there are several other solutions that may work for you as well.
It's also true that you can piece together your own solution....

Who do you want to call or blame if something breaks? Yourself?

Small Tree is certainly a dominant solution provider and integrator choice that knows IO and Real Time performance extremely well. What else might you expect from a group dedicated to High Performance and Real Time Video engineering backgrounds from places like SGI and Cray Technologies?

Get the assurances and guarantees you need for performance and support of video and graphics workflows over Ethernet on your Mac environment before you purchase a solution. Small Tree should be among the top of your choices!

It would be worth your time to inquire with us!

There are plenty of references to be found on Small Tree's expertise right here on the Creative Cow in itself.

Keep us all posted on where this turns out for you. We all like to know.

Regards,

Matt Geier - Small Tree
I manage and support pre and post sales development in Western US and Canada sales regions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]