FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID Array swapping

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Rocek
RAID Array swapping
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:02:04 pm

I have a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4UTBPN with 3 drives (2TB) setup as a RAID 5 volume for an effective 4 TB. I am wondering if it is possible to pull out the drives, put in fresh ones, set up a new volume, and when I want it, pull the new drives, put back the old ones, and recover the old volume. I read somewhere that at least some of Sans Digital's enclosures keep a copy of the volume data both in the hardware raid controller and on the drives, so that in principle it should be possible to tell the enclosure to use the drive data to reconstruct the volume. I don't know if the TR4UTBPN has that capability.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: RAID Array swapping
on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:55:57 am

The RAID information is indeed stored on the drives; some of it is also in the controller memory - which goes away when you install a new set of drives.

It should be theoretically possible with nearly any RAID5 controller, the recovery procedure varies. I'd contact SANS Digital for the exact procedure. It may be fully automatic, i.e. the array will just come up when you re-install the old drive set; or you may have to execute a "read RAID data from drives" function first.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Martin Rocek
Re: RAID Array swapping
on Oct 1, 2012 at 9:05:29 pm

Thank you! I contacted Sans Digital, and they said it is automatic: powerdown the array, pull one set
of drives, put in another, and it rebuilds the array from the data on the drives. Perfect for me!

Thank you!
Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]