FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Prores Raid required?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonardo Hallal
Apple Prores Raid required?
on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:17:39 am

Hello all,

I'm a Brazilian Colorist and the only purpose of my setup is to be able to color grade shows on Final Cut and Color and to playback it to the clients on Final Cut, when it's done.

The highest resolution I get to work with is Apple Prores 422 HQ 60i 1920x1080.

I've got two 1TB Caviar hard drives (unfortunately there's the green ones) striped together on a RAID 0 setup. My Os drive is a separate one.

It seems to work fine for 23.98 projetcs and for anything that is 720. The only issue I'm having is when I play 1080 29.97 Apple Prores projects.

Any clues to what is the problem? If I had 3 drives striped together instead of 2, would that solve the problem? Should I get Black Caviar drives?

Thanks a lot.

Leo Hallal

Final Cut Pro 7
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
AJA Kona Lhi outputing HD-SDI to a 17" Flanders Scientific Monitor

Return to posts index

Leonardo Hallal
Re: Apple Prores Raid required?
on Jun 5, 2010 at 4:27:47 am

Oh, sorry, I forgot to describe the problem.

The image seems to be fine, but the audio is making weird noise, like you get when you play a 41Khz in a 48Khz sequence (that is not the case). I assume it's dropping frames as it goes...

Leonardo Hallal
Brazilian colorist

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Apple Prores Raid required?
on Jun 5, 2010 at 12:42:56 pm

weird audio noise has nothing to do with dropped frames. I don't know what your problem is, but it has nothing to do with your drive arrays.

Apple ProRes422HQ requires about 30MB/sec from the drives, which even a single modern SATA drive can do. Two stripped RAID 0 will give you about 120MB/sec, which is more than enough to do ProRes422HQ. Your audio noise issue is an unrelated issue.

So now your question is "why do I get this weird audio noise when I edit in FCP ? ".

Ask the FCP forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]