FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the fastest read and write speeds I can get, internal or external to a Mac Pro - on budget

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
What's the fastest read and write speeds I can get, internal or external to a Mac Pro - on budget
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:23:55 am

I last specked a mac 12 core with 3 internal hard drives - at that point I could play back Red's 4k r3d files. But since then SSD's have come into play. Should I put three ssd's inside a mac and if so what speed read and write will I get? Or should I buy an external raid carrier - like sonnet and connect via esata at 3gig (or thunderbolt) and yes, budget is always limited so I need a best-buy option. By buying 2 quad sonnet boxes in the past and going in via esata I got about 500MB read and write - had I doubled the drives I would have got 900 or so. But I now need a lot of read write in Raid 0 as I'm in 3D at 4k. Any ideas?

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: What's the fastest read and write speeds I can get, internal or external to a Mac Pro - on budget
on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:42:48 pm

[Terry Flaxton] "had I doubled the drives I would have got 900 or so"

Not if you were working with only two 3G eSATA interfaces - those max out at about 275MB/s each.

If you need/ want over 550MB/s, eSATA is far from the best choice. An 8-bay MiniSAS box with a controller can be had for about $1K - $1.5K before you add drives, and give you close to 1GB/s speeds with the right drives.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
Re: What's the fastest read and write speeds I can get, internal or external to a Mac Pro - on budget
on Aug 17, 2012 at 2:49:46 pm

By mini sas controller, do you mean a card that takes in the output of the min sas box? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with this stuff (also, previously I had a card with 4xesata in)

Best Terry

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:39:36 pm

For best performance, get a SAS card like this:
http://www.promax.com/p-781-atto-expresssas-r380-sas-raid-card.aspx

And hookup some storage like this:
http://www.promax.com/s-67-fastmaxfx8.aspx

Should see 700-900MB/s...

For more speed get a bigger box like this:
http://www.promax.com/s-69-fastmax-fx16.aspx
~1000MB/s

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Aug 18, 2012 at 12:09:50 pm

Thanks for this - but: has anyone any specs on internal raid 3 x ssd's read and write even if it's just using a Kona tool. My current 3 x 2T hard drives read about 340 MBs - -so what do 3 x ssd'd do?

Thanks for all answers up till now.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:00:37 pm

I go with Alex,
and I don't think you get more than 500 MB/s speed out of an SSD array. But you can try. Interesting. Tell us, how it works.

Rainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]