FORUMS: list search recent posts

CineRaid H458

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jacob varley
CineRaid H458
on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:35:40 am

Hello, I just bought the CineRaid h458 as an external raid solution, but I'm not quite impressed - Here's the background, and then the question.

Running a dell M6600 laptop - This is a desktop replacement, and trust me, it replaces just about every desktop I've come across. I'm using the port replicator so I have 2 ESATA ports. I'm using onboard raid for my internal hard drives (2 64gb crucial m4's in raid 0, tests return 1GBps read and 210MBps write) and for two like drives through esata (250MBps read and write).

Now, I bought the cineraid and have 2 WD2002FAEX drives. Before I raided them, i tested them at 150 max read each. I know I'm never going to get 300MBps read in raid, but it should definitely be above 150 in raid 0.

When I built the array, I tested the read and write and was terribly disappointing - 120MBps read...

I used usb 3.0 and ESATA for tests, both returned same results. Even at the lower 3Gbps I should get 375MBps max read.

If someone has had experience with this specific, or like devices from cineRaid I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: CineRaid H458
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:36:52 am

Not sure why this happening.

Just for reference:

My h458 tests at 230MB/s writes and 200MB/s reads over eSATA, with four Hitachi 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 drives in RAID5 mode.

Last time I benched it over USB3.0, the rates were around 140-170MB/s.

Have you tested the drives individually in the h458 box before you RAIDed them?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

jacob varley
on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:59:52 am

Yes I have tested the drives normal operation (all dips down) and in other enclosures. If this is a USB 3.0 thing, then that's very disappointing considering 3.0 is faster than sata II. I'm moving TB's worth of data to and from and we just can't sit here at wait hours for this. I really need to push the 375MBps limit for 3.0 and don't have another Esata available. I'll test the esata line and get back to you.

Return to posts index

jacob varley
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:24:24 am

Doesn't even work on Esata. I'm going to RMA it but I'm not sure if I want a refund or replacement. I need an external array capable of pushing it's own data limits.

Side note, the layout of this website sucks. I just don't get why only 1/3 of my screen is used for informational purpose and why we have to click links to see replies. This clearly isn't a typical forum. At least the content is worth it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]