FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should Seagate Barracuda be avoided

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Should Seagate Barracuda be avoided
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:31:56 pm

Hi, I am planing on using a couple of Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives (7200) in a RAID0 configuration for video editing. I have heard a lot about Seagate drives dieing and they have reduced there warranty to 1 year. They do have great price performance and I am on a bit of a budget. What do people advise?

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Should Seagate Barracuda be avoided
on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:36:13 pm

All hard drives die. It is a matter of when, not if.

A 5-year warranty on a drive is nice and all, but that doesn't mean the drive will actually last 5 years. Getting my money back for a failed drive one year in wouldn't console me for any loss of data.

If you only have one copy of your data, you are a twist of fate away from having no copies of your data. No matter which drive you get, make sure you have a backup plan!

I had liked Seagate (prior to their bad run a couple years ago) and Hitachi (prior to being bought out by Western Digital). I'm not sure if it really matters anymore -- there are only three hard drive manufacturers left [link].

I think that a drive's class is probably more important than its brand; I'd stay away from the cheaper energy-saving "green" drives and stick to the more expensive performance or enterprise-class drives.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: Should Seagate Barracuda be avoided
on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:49:17 pm

Note - Hitachi Enterprise are 5 year warranty - The replacement drives you get are not brand new though.

s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]