FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX 10.8 ANd ATTO cards

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Blackledge
OSX 10.8 ANd ATTO cards
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:46:18 am

Anyone running 10.8 yet with an ATTO R380 installed?

I get the grey screen lockup on boot but if I boot with AltC and choose the 10.8 disk ir boots fine.

downgraded to suggested FW but that causes worse issues. Login fine and raids there but the macpro shuts down when I go to access it.

Updated to 2011 FW and it lockup (beachball) when I access it.

In contact with atto support who are great but thought I'd ask on here.

Back to running the old 10.6.8 os for now. Nothing bad happened to the actual Raid with all this.

s

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: OSX 10.8 ANd ATTO cards
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:02:54 pm

Wow -
I am glad you opened up this can of worms.
What I have found is that the combination of driver, firmware AND chassis (and whatever is in that chassis, like SAS expander, or motherboard) is CRITICAL to what happens.

When you do not install any new driver, OS X 10.8 boots up with the 3.72 driver for the ATTO R380. So, I load in the "new" ATTO 4.00 driver for OS X 10.8 for Mountain Lion. And now the computer barely boots up - sometimes with no drives, no menus, and if it does boot, you open ATTO Config Tool, and you get a blank screen. After countless combinations, all of which failed, I simply disconnected the drive arrays, re-installed the ATTO 3.72 driver (which THANK GOD is still on the ATTO website), and everything works fine.

So the bottom line is that the 4.00 driver for the ATTO R380 (for Mountain Lion) does not work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:25:02 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go. Have fwd to Matt at ATTO also.

So what FW are you currently running ? Atto driver recommends the 2011 one but I did have 2012 on.

Cheers

Si

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:29:52 pm

We have an R380 w/ ProAvio 800ms chassis running on Mountain Lion with no problems. We didn't update anything, just the OS. Hope that helps.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 8, 2012 at 9:15:33 pm

that is the point John. When you get a new OS, manufacturers write new drivers. You did not update anything. Had you gone to the ATTO website, and downloaded their new Mountain Lion 10.8 drivers (V4.00 for the R380), you might have had issues.

The OS comes with V3.72 driver as part of the OS.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 8, 2012 at 9:17:26 pm

Good on us for being lazy :).

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:23:42 am

Hmm

Ok downgraded to 3.7.1
FW is at 2011 version.

Still locked up on grey screen at boot.

Held ALT and chose the 10.8 disk and boots and running fine.

Still not happy as this shouldnt be happening so gonna run off 10.6.8 till Atto get back to me.

Their building a testbed now to replicate and test.

Will post up any updates.

Seems people with the Arcea had same.. need to leave what the OS has with it built in rather than latest and greatest :-/

s

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 11, 2012 at 12:14:12 pm

This is my advice to you. Build your own "testbed". IT's easy.
Get another SATA drive running at OS X 10.6.8. Update to OS X 10.8.
Don't load anything in - and I mean ANYTHING. Plug in your ATTO R380 card, and your drive array, and turn on your computer. I bet your drive shows up. NOW, you can add in your software for ATTO Configuration Tool.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steven Nichols
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:00:38 pm

Same issue here with Sonnet D800RAID. I just updated the drivers before the OS and it was a total disaster :(
Anything new with ATTO ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]