FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cost Effective Solution for 8 TB eSata Setup

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Aldrich
Cost Effective Solution for 8 TB eSata Setup
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:14:15 am

Hi Guys --

Cool, new forum to play in. I'm looking to put together a low budget solution for a eSata array between 8-12 TB if possible running in a RAID 5. I have and like my OWC Elite-AL Qx2 Pro, but it's only a four drive chassis. Any suggestions for other chassis/controller combo that I can populate with drives? Looking to spend as little as possible for a quality setup (an oxymoron, I know). Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cost Effective Solution for 8 TB eSata Setup
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:18:30 am

I don't like your question.
IF you like what you have, simply stick 2 Terabyte drives into your chassis, and be done with it. What is your question - "how can I get 8 TB of storage without buying those "expensive" 2 TB drives ?

If you want a piece of crap RAID 5 controller, the cheapest one is made by Highpoint. If that is too expensive for you, go onto ebay, and find someones old SCSI RAID 5 array. But if your real question is "I can find one at Other World Computing for $600 for a complete RAID 5 array, but I was really looking to spend more like $100 - $200" - well, I will just have to kill you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Aldrich
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:49:11 am

Hi Bob --

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I like the OWC chassis that I have -- I've been asked to find a solution for a friend that'll provide between 8 and 12 TB if possible in a cost effective manner. We're working on a personal project and while we're funding it out of our own pockets, he doesn't want to be stupid and buy crap equipment -- in my experience it only ends up costing you more in the long run, both in more gear and heartbreak.

When you get beyond four bay chassis, the costs starts to go up quite a bit. I was simply wondering what folks liked in terms of a five, six or eight bay chassis that I could then populate with those 'expensive' 2 TB drives... that are currently around $150, if you don't want to spring for the enterprise versions. I was able to populate my OWC chassis with 2 TB Hitachis that got me to 6 TB @ RAID 5 for under a grand, which I was thrilled with, and felt like the gear was pretty good quality for the cost.

I'm not necessarily expecting that I'll find a solution that'll work better than simply buying two of the OWC four bay chassis. I was sort of hoping that someone might, y'know, share their thoughts on gear that they liked. Sorry if I was unclear.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:29:28 am

Your friend should buy a RAID 5 card from either Atto or Areca and a compatable enclosure and fill it with drives.

You can buy a cheaper card, but it won't really work that well. The whole point of RAID 5 is reliability, and if the card is wonky, like the High Point cards, then you're not really getting your money's worth. And in my book, "cost-effective" includes the thing actually working.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]