FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need a better Network Solution

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Orchard
I need a better Network Solution
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:16:09 pm

Same ol' Song... I need a new network setup. Am Running RAID 1 on a cheap D-LINK NAS through a GB network on Cat6 to an editing laptop and a bank of old PC's used as a render farm and need a better setup.

I understand a RAID 5 or 10 will serve my speed and peace of mind needs.

I have very little budget (more time than sense) and am very technically inclined - albeit I'm no "Ze(li)n Master" by any stretch. Would love to be able to afford a high-end/headache-free solution but for the time-being must make do with the best I can.

Any DIY home-built networks that are suitable for 2k workflow? Also, any key components I should invest my time and $$ in now that may be scalable for the future?

I know this is a common question but times change quickly and so do available options I'm sure.

I appreciate your time and hopefully this will also help others in my boat.

Cheers,

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I need a better Network Solution
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:53:00 am

so let me get this straight. You have no money, and you want a shared storage system that can handle 2K files ?

How much are you expecting to spend, even if you "do it yourself" ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Orchard
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:19:51 am

Fair question of course Bob, and the answer would be *as little as possible. If that means $200 or $2,000 but would afford me the greatest scalability even if it's a budgeted, phased approach.

I'm cheap, but I understand value vs. time.

I should clarify, I'm a one person shop, but work on several computers throughout my home for convenience.

I do Motion Graphics and film-making on the side, primarily for volunteer organizations, so I try to keep my "hobby" business within reason.

*...You must grow tired of these questions Bob, understandably, but thank you for the quality (and free) advice you continuously provide those who "aren't quite there yet" it is appreciated by more than you may know, and of course they, are likely the high-end infrastructure clients of tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:06:59 am

no volunteer organization, no charity, no medical research campaign begging for donations should DARE have the audacity to require 2K media for their fund raising. I can assist you in showing you how to use 10 Gig cards to interconnect a couple of MAC's, so you can move 2K files back and forth, but if I find out that a cancer charity needs 2K images for their fund raising, I will find out who this is, and tear their lungs out. Hi quality images for charites (and major shows) work very well at 1080i ProRes422HQ, and if this is not "good enough" for a charity or volunteer organization, then it is my duty to stop these people.

To create a shared storage enviornment between multiple computers - even at ProRes resolutions, you still need a dedicated server, a fast drive array, and some specialty ethernet equipment. The ethernet equipment alone will cost you 2 grand. If you only want to share between 2 MAC's at very fast speed using 10Gig cards, these cost about $1200 each, ( and this is for only two computers, and you still need a drive array that can run over 600MB/sec) - so it's still not cheap.

Bob Zelni

Return to posts index

Chris Lavin
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:12:26 am

You can also implement a low cost Fibre solution. FOr around the same price. It will give you 4GB and allow you to edit 2K files without a headache...

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]