FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any Benchmarks or Tests for the Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hegarty
Any Benchmarks or Tests for the Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 4:47:30 pm

Is anyone out there on the Cow running a 12TB G-Speed eS Pro controlled by a MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e in a MacPro 5,1?

If so would you be able to share some speed tests and general feedback on this setup- how's it working for you?

We're weighing up this combination versus the same eS Pro controlled by an ATTO R680-000 card. It would be great to know if the more affordable NewerTech card can cut the mustard. If anyone has any general feedback on one system vs the other I'd greatly appreciate that also.

Many thanks,
Daniel Hegarty

Return to posts index

Max Trautner
Re: Any Benchmarks or Tests for the Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e?
on Jul 13, 2012 at 8:30:38 pm

Long-time reader, never responder decided to sign-up and reply on this one....

We're using this card with a Stardom ST8-U5 to build four drives (Hitachi 7K3000's installed in the lower set of the Stardom) into a RAID5 configuration for a Mac Pro 5,1.

I ran diglloydTools diskFill command on this array, and read performance starts off strong at over 440 mb/sec but gradually decreases to just over 220 mb/sec as the array reaches full capacity. Plenty of performance for our needs.

However, and this is a big however, we just started working off of this array, and having transferred about a terabyte of footage to it, I will tell you that most of the videos now have a glitch with some glitches lasting as long as seven frames. These glitches are not in the raw camera files or footage before being transferred, and diskFill reported no verification issues. It could be a defective NewerTech card, and I'm working on arranging a replacement.... but it's something to look out for.

There is not a lot of information out there on this card, so if you'd like to know more, like AJA System Test results, just let me know!

Return to posts index

Daniel Hegarty
Re: Any Benchmarks or Tests for the Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e?
on Jul 17, 2012 at 2:40:55 pm

Thanks Max that's pretty helpful, sounds like we should spend the extra 600 quid and make life easier for ourselves.
Cheers for the feedback,
DH

Return to posts index

Max Trautner
on Oct 12, 2012 at 9:07:01 pm

We ended up ditching RAID5 for a RAID0 using this card and enclosure. Glitches are gone and speeds are over 800 MB/sec.... no protection for RAID failure though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]