FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way To Connect Two MacPro's To One Drive

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Mullins
Best Way To Connect Two MacPro's To One Drive
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:52:35 am

Hi,

I'm running two MacPro-based edit suites and up until now I have not needed them to be connected to each other in any way, however this has changed and I would like to know the best way to do so. Basically I'd like one large RAID drive (12TB+) where all footage from all projects is copied to, which can then be accessed by both MacPro's (simultaneously but not both working on the same project at the same time though).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Best Way To Connect Two MacPro's To One Drive
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:06:13 pm

What kind of external RAID is it & what's the I/O?

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:58:24 pm

without having a server computer to run your 12+ TB drive array, you will fail. The NAS devices that you see advertised for $500 won't work for you.

You can try this yourself very quickly. Hookup an ethernet cable on ethernet port 2 between your 2 Mac Pro's. Turn on File Sharing, and GO>Connect To Server from one computer to the other. You will be able to mount the drive from computer # 1 onto the desktop of computer # 2. OK, now that it is mounted, play back video from the drive on computer #1 on computer #2 (the drive you just mounted) - WOW, it works. OK, now play video on computer #1 at the same time.

IT CRASHES, right ? You need a server, which means another Mac Pro (or Mac Mini with a Thunderbolt to SAS adaptor) to run the drive array, so you don't crash. And you need multiple ethernet connections to make this work (one from each computer to the server).

Can you get this done for $499 - NO !

If you want to persue this, you can repost on the SAN Networks Forum, or contact me directly at maxavid@cfl.rr.com

And before Jon has a chance to respond - YES, you can use ProAVIO enclosures to make all of this work, but you MUST have another computer to act as a server, to have shared storage between your two computers.

SO, how come you can't do this for $499 with a little NAS box that you get at Best Buy or Fry's ? BECAUSE IT IS NOT FAST ENOUGH.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:59:00 am

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the response, I shall look in to setting this up and if I have any more questions I will get in touch! Thanks again, it's a big help.

Ben.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]