FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID, or Fibre Channel server?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
RAID, or Fibre Channel server?
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:28:28 pm

I'm looking for a RAID5, or RAID6 setup for a Mac Pro, I'm looking to get 1-2 streams of uncompressed HD, or 2K video playback.
As for the Raid controller - Disk Enclosure setup I think I searched for all the possible solutions (Areca, Proavio, Caldigit, etc.)

But as far as I know I could use a Fibre Channel server, but I don't know how that works.

- is there any Fibre Channel storages in the price range of Proavio/Caldigit solutions?
- is the fibre channel card handle tha RAID, or is the server?
- is there any recommendation which brand should I choose?
- is there any advantages over a Areca+Proavio setup?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: RAID, or Fibre Channel server?
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:48:09 pm

Laco Gaal,

If you need something shared....

The product that would suit your needs is from Enhance Technology, the parent company of Proavio, which is the Enhance DS316F8 8G - 16 Bay Fiber Storage.
(The link is a downloadable JPEG product file).

This is a new product, so it's not yet on the Enhance website, http://www.enhance-tech.com

Should you want further information as to set up, etc, call us, we'd be happy to walk you through the process. CalDigit does not offer a Fiber solution, let alone an 8G Fiber solution.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:37:53 pm

Is there a specific reason for Fibre Channel? (Distance, sharing?)

If not, any reason DAS Mini-SAS won't work?

Unless you need sharing - as Jon suggested - the highest RAID5/6 performance per buck ratio is with MiniSAS based controllers and storage boxes.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:44:35 pm

No reason for Fibre Channel. Also I'm looking for a setup around 8 disks.
I just wanted to ask, which would be the better way:)

So the best way is a RAID controller and an enclosure?

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:58:00 pm

Laco,

I brought up Fiber Channel as that's what you initially suggested. For a DAS, or Direct Attached Workflow....

Our EB800MS, http://www.proavio.com/eb800ms-mini-sas-desktop-raid-ready-storage.html with the Areca 1223X card will give you RAID 5 performance of 800-900MB/s read/write. Our 8 bay EB800MS also features a cable-less back-plane that eliminates the point of failure between your drives & the backplane of the chassis. We also configure your storage in your choice of RAID levels and OS and then burn-in and test your storage before shipping as part of our service & support of the product.

This is a field proven solution.

We offer our 8 bay EB800MS populated with a 3 year warranty & 1 year advanced replacement.

Hope that helps, anything else, feel free to ask. Should you need a reseller in your area, drop me a line & we'll find someone who will be happy to help you.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:59:07 pm

Totally. On 8 decent drives, 600-800MB/s in RAID6 with Areca 1882x or ATTO R680 (I prefer Areca for speed although ATTO is a more established brand.) Expander 8-bay JBOD from Areca/ CineRAID - $1699, non-expander - $799.

http://cineraid.com/products/editpro_x_t08e.htm
http://cineraid.com/products/editpro_t08.htm

If you purchase these populated, the added benefit is they initialize the array eliminating zero day DOAs, and the warranty is 3 years vs. 1.

Let me know if you'd like a quote.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:46:48 pm

the prices you see here are without disk drives.

And without the host controller card. An Areca 1882x or an ATTO R680 are expensive cards. All this adds up very quickly.

DPX 2k files are under 300MB/sec. Uncompressed HD is about 166MB/sec.
So any drive array you see advertised on Creative Cow (that is an 8 bay) will do this for you. Anything from ProAvio, anything from CalDigit, anything from what Alex recommends - anything from any of these companies (anything that you suggested yourself) will work. Just don't buy cheap junk - remember - everyone - ProAvio, CalDigit, Sonnet, G-Tech, Maxx Digital, Dulce, etc, etc. (even Other World Computing now) - make good stuff, and cheap junk. Buy the good stuff, and you will get the performance that you want. Buy the cheap junk, and you will get what you deserve - nothing.

6g technology is real fast, and will let you accomplish what you want. JUST SPEND MONEY.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:43:47 am

Thanks guys!
One more thing is a factor here, I'm located in Europe:) This complicates this purchase a bit.

Anyway I found that I could easily buy an Areca 1223x here (first I wanted to buy Rocketraid, but then I read that Areca is much more better). So as for the controller card, I'm good.

And also found the Proavio EB800MS and the S8MS at a dealer in England, but that's twice the price as in the US...We'll see.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:35:32 pm

DO NOT get the Areca 1223x, and stop this nonsense with the Rocketraid card. If you want the Areca, get the 1882x. Buy professional equipment.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]