FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing New Mac Pro System Disc with Exisiting Raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Installing New Mac Pro System Disc with Exisiting Raid
on Jun 17, 2012 at 2:56:13 pm

Bob Zellin will jump all over me again for using the Mac Raid Card, but I can take it ;)

I want to replace my system drive as it is the end result of too many migrations and has too many quirks to iive with any more. I have a nice clean "Apple" (WD) 1tb HD ready to put in. I expect to make it a dual boot as people I respect have suggested I do that with 10.6.8 and Lion. I currently use 10.6.8.

My question is this: when I replace the drive and install to OS's will there be any affect at all on the exisitng RAID 0 consisting of bays 2-4, which has only media, and it is backed up.

Will there be any affect at all? Total destruction? Somewhere in between?

Oh and does any one know a good tutorial on installing a dual boot system drive from the ground up?

I expect to transfer my old downloads and documents by simple file copy from the old drive in a cradle.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

TRI EA5 1974-1977
Convergence ECS1B 1977-1979
Sony BVE 500 1979 - 1984
Datatron Vanguard 1984 - 1993
GVG VPE141 1993 - 1998
Media 100 1995 - 2006
Final Cut Pro 2005 to really really soon
Adobe Creative Cloud 2012 to......

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Installing New Mac Pro System Disc with Exisiting Raid
on Jun 17, 2012 at 6:28:08 pm

no.
If you have your RAID on bays 2 - 4, and your system boot drive is in slot 1, you can replace your system boot drive without issue.

But not letting an opportunity pass me up, you do understand that the Apple RAID card is doing absolutely nothing for you, since you have a RAID0 group on slots 2-4. You don't need that card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: Installing New Mac Pro System Disc with Exisiting Raid
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:05:32 pm

Bob, is this also true, if I have a 4-disk software RAID0 in my Mac Pro, in bays 1-4,
and have an SSD with the OSX on it under the optical drive?

I actually only want to upgrade to Mountain Lion on the SSD, not changing a drive.

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]