FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recover files from RAID 1 external

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Locke
Recover files from RAID 1 external
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:56:56 pm

So my 3.5" dual-drive box stopped mounting, as if it didn't exist, to my laptop. Tech support was no help, and after exhausting possibilities myself, I decided scientific method might help to decide if the drives or the "box" is to blame. As the laptop and OS has never changed, I rate that a constant, and look there last.
But to my (ignorant) surprise, you don't just take a mirrored drive and slap it into a dock of some kind. It seems to have no "identity" by itself, "unknown partition" comes up in disk utility (though the 1TB capacity lists). Do I need to recreate the RAID 1 "environment" for the drives to be mountable again (and would the original RAID card need to be matched), or am I just out of options. "Mirrored" is looking more troublesome than just copied to single drives x 2 (or more).
Hope my lameness is at least humorous enough to garner some help, other forums are often just quiet. Thanks for all I've learned so far...

FYI: 13" MacBook Pro 7,1; OSX 6.8; iStoage Pro idock II (stock 1TB Barracudas)

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Recover files from RAID 1 external
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:16:24 pm

Michael,

Knowing who's "box" you are using would help to understand possible solutions. I take it you tried all available I/O, inputs, on the "box" & it still didn't mount?

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:45:22 pm

Hi John,

That would be the iStorage Pro idock II, with 2 x 1TB Barracudas (in the FYI at bottom). Yes, both FW800's, the USB2, don't have a 1394A to 1394B cable or express card option to test the rest. Restarted several times with each test, never came back. Both drives spin up fine, and seem healthy, I just can't see/access the data. Disc image was a perfect copy of the same problem. Clueless...

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:47:41 pm

Michael,

I think I overlooked the information pertaining to your box, I thought it was a dock or something.... Did you ask the istoragepro guys if they would send you a replacement chassis to try out? My guess is that the bridge-board inside the chassis is fried.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:01:19 pm

I offered to return it by mail or in person (I'm in the Valley), at my expense. They just changed the subject, wouldn't issue an RA (I've worked retail, I know the drill), and I wasn't willing to RA online after that. Very disappointing.

p.s. it was a gift, and my brother doesn't have the original receipt, although I have the Amazon packing slip.

Return to posts index

Luis Rodriguez
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:03:48 pm

Hi Michael,
I am not familiar with the iStorage Pro idock II, but it does sound like the internal board has gone bad. I would look at getting the enclosure serviced or replaced. If you recreate the RAID-1 set with the current enclosure you may run into the same situation down the line.

Luis Rodriguez
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Main: 562-777-3488 X109
Email: luis@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:16:51 pm

Exactly. If I put both drives into another RAID 1 enclosure, will they (if healthy) read as the 1TB mirrored system I had before. Separately, they're invisible, reading as unformatted. Would the specific Oxford card (from the idock) be needed/matter? Before I buy another (brand), I'd like to know.

p.s. If one of my mirrored drives died, what would I do?

Return to posts index

Luis Rodriguez
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:37:09 pm

You will need an enclosure that is using the same chipset at the iStoragePro iDock II. It is always best to use the same enclosure model. RAID-1 implementation can vary from chipset or firmware.

Luis Rodriguez
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:48:02 pm

Thanks Luis (and Jon),

I thought it might be that specific. I think there's a lot of RAID 1 owners who are not as safe as they think. Having an identical copy of all the data means nothing if it can't be accessed. And if a drive died, would I clone/disc image the other to restore it, or does that work? I've heard people much further into storage discourage RAID 1 reliance. I'm learning...

Return to posts index

Luis Rodriguez
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:05:50 pm

The RAID chip or algorithm, in the case of some chipsets, will be able to duplicate the data onto a replacement drive if you have a disk failure. Technically your data and the remaining drive should still mount(usually in a "degraded" state) after failing a drive.

Luis Rodriguez
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.

Return to posts index

zin Dinh
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:34:15 pm

Hi Michael.
iStoragepro Dock II come with 2 x HDD hardware RAID on board. on the back unit come with RAID setting Toggle Switch and RAID reset button. make sure the Toogle switch setting to RAID 1.
RAID 1 mode controller will write the same data bit to both HDD at the Same time . so technically you can pull 1 HDD out and plug into any single SATA cable , the Mac Disk utility will mount this HDD as a single Volume drive. in your case , 1 or 2 HDD may be dead , you have to try to connect 1 hard diver at atime to single SATA cable and see if either HDD can read by Mac Disk Utility. other possibility the firewire Board could be bad or Firewire board and 1 or 2 HDD could be Bad. the best is return to istoragepro RMA department to analyze. most of the time they can determine what wrong.

Zin

Return to posts index

Katie Khor
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:28:35 pm

Hi Michael,

I am with iStoragePro, I will walk you through the RMA process and help identify issues. Please contact me at Katie@cidesign.com or 1.800.272.0062 ext 221.

Katie

Return to posts index

Tyson Granger
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:43:59 am

Hi friend,

Data recovery from your RAID 1 is very much possible by relying on a third party reliable data recovery software which are available in the market. But I would like to suggest you Yodot Hard Drive Recovery software, this tool performs RAID data recovery with ease. Apart from recovering data from RAID, the tool also helps you in recovering data from internal hard disk, iPods, memory cards and many other storage device.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]