FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Bang for buck 8 bay raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Barata
Best Bang for buck 8 bay raid
on May 21, 2012 at 8:23:45 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy or build a 8 bay Raid to do HD video.

I am running a Macpro 3.32Quad-Core Intel Xeon on osx 10.6.8

I run a single Edit suite and my company is really just getting off the ground floor so I'm looking for something affordable that I can grow.

One of my major clients is a reoccurring project in which I need to play 3-4 angles of multiclip HD video in FCP so I am looking for throughput.

So Far I think I have decided that I want to go with a 8bay minisas enclosure running either raid5 or Raid6.

My first pick was Caldigit HD Element but unfortunately they are not selling them anymore.

Now I'm looking at :

Proavio EB800ms and possibly Sandigital TR8X+ but I'm a bit weary about the Sandigital.

My other options are building through pc-pitstop or Datoptic.

I have been searching up and down and I think I've hit a wall so any light someone could shine on this would be immensely appreciated.

Also is your opinion on a HighPoint RocketRAID 2722 card?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Best Bang for buck 8 bay raid
on May 21, 2012 at 5:40:44 pm

The Proavio looks nice but I would also throw Areca's ARC-8040 or 4036Ml into the mix for consideration. Great enclosures at a good price.
As far as the actual raid card is concerned: do yourself a favor and go for either Atto or Areca. You'll have great performance and stability. Stay away from HighPoint as far as you can and don't let the price tempt you.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

James Barton
on May 22, 2012 at 3:55:08 am

Stardom SohoTank ST8, an Atto r380 or 680, and 8 Hitachi A7K series drives will serve you well--running in my work facility flawlessly for over a year now. And forget the Highpoint stuff--you need this to work and work for the long haul.

Return to posts index

Luis Rodriguez
on May 22, 2012 at 4:44:08 pm

I would not recommend the Highpoint 2722 due to reliability issues encountered by countless Highpoint users. Stick with a proven solution/combination (ATTO, Areca, Proavio, etc) and enjoy the creative freedom offered by products that are specifically designed for video professionals. Do your homework and shop around, professional-grade options are more affordable than you think.

Luis Rodriguez
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X109
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: luis@proavio.com

Return to posts index

John Barata
on May 23, 2012 at 9:41:58 am

Thank you all for all of your info. If there is one thing that I learned from this is that I should stay away from highpoint. This would have been so easy if caldigit hadn't stopped making the HDelement. It looks like it's down to the proavio 800ms vs the G-raid Gspeed es pro. I've heard alot of good about the proavio but what about the g-raid. I'm not sure what to think about that one.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 23, 2012 at 11:12:07 pm

Both the Proavio and the G-Raid are 3G enclosures, the Areca's I've mentioned are 6G. However, to be honest, they all will do just fine (8bay enclosures will all give you transfer rates between 800 and 1000MB/s if you card is in a 8x slot, a single G-Raid obviously a lot less). They just provide cooling, power and interfacing (and some will allow remote management via Ethernet which may be useful to you), the much more important thing you should think about is the raid card, not the enclosure. You can have the best box in the world, if your card sucks things will go belly-up.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

Return to posts index

Stephen Davies
on May 24, 2012 at 10:15:43 pm

Actually, the ProAVIO EB800 is a 6Gb SAS enclosure. Coupled with the Areca controller, this would make a very potent solution.

Stephen Davies
Technical Sales Representative
PROAVIO USA

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 24, 2012 at 11:50:22 pm

Then you should update your website as it lists the EB800 as a 3GB box:

"The EB800MS offers world-class performance, leading 3Gb/s SAS/SATA interface design and industry-proven system compatibility. "

------

Return to posts index

John Barata
on May 25, 2012 at 5:59:47 am

Thanks for all your input guys.

I do really like the proavio but I found the 4tb Gspeed es pro bundled with the raid card for $1500. This gives me the ability to get what I need done now and when I need more space or speed I'm only one enclosure away. Letting stretch that cost out without missing out. I believe the card they bundle it with is an atto 630? Which from what I've read leaves this raid with pretty good performance at a good price point. At this point

IS there anyone that has had a bad experience with G-raid?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:39:06 am

I would go for sonnet R800,
its working with no problems for 2 years now, SAS gives you enough speed. Drives Hitachi HUAs.

Rainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]