FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need simple networking solution

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Chance
Need simple networking solution
on May 12, 2012 at 11:34:53 pm

Hello!

I have a small production company, which is growing. To date we have had one workstation with a Mac Pro with an external RAID (eSATA connection).

I have just taken on an intern who will be working from their MacBook Pro. Both computers now need to access the RAID and the current project files.

I know very little about networking so am looking for some basic advice.

What is the simplest, safest (and hopefully cheapest) way to connect the new computer, so that both machines can work on the files stored on the RAID? FYI there are also two FW 800 ports in the back of the RAID, but no ethernet.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Need simple networking solution
on May 13, 2012 at 3:51:51 pm

you can't have shared storage with your setup. If you run a network cable from your intern's MacBook Pro and run it into your ethernet port on your Mac Pro, you can SHARE files (he can copy some across onto his computer), but you can't both work and edit on the same files on your small eSATA array. I assume that you do not have an 8 or 16 bay SAS/SATA array like you see advertised here on Creative Cow.

If you use your Mac Pro as a server, and get yourself an iMAC to work on, and get a BIG fast disk drive array for the server for you and your intern to work on, you can accomplish what you want.

But to answer your question "can't I just do it with just the equipment I have, and my intern's MacBook Pro" - the answer is no.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

James Chance
on May 13, 2012 at 8:49:12 pm

Thanks, Bob. I realize my set up is limiting. But we don't need to work on the files simultaneously. I think art this point I will connect the two machines via ethernet as it is a quick fix for now. The intern can then prep projects on their computer (rather than them taking over mine) then save. I can then pick up where they left off, while they start on a second project. Not ideal I know, but a least we can have two work stations working independently and access files easily from each. Thanks again for you input. J

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on May 14, 2012 at 2:21:46 pm

If two people trading time on a Mac Pro almost does the job how about two two monitors, two mice, two keyboards on the Mac Pro? Dedicate to your assistant his own work drive. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

Virtual Assistant
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:45:37 am

Network Infrastructure Solutions so Businesses Meet Performance Goals.

Visit us : virtual-assistants.outsourcing-services-india.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]