FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sohotank ST2 RAID-0: Am I screwed?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Medeiros
Sohotank ST2 RAID-0: Am I screwed?
on May 5, 2012 at 3:29:30 am

I am using a Stardom Sohotank ST2 (eSATA model) with my Macbook Pro 6,1 running 10.6.8 and Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro card as my main system. The chassis has a matching pair of Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM drives, and the chassis is set to hardware RAID-0. Normally I keep everything double-backed up because of RAID -0, but it's not always up to date.

I was working in After Effects 5.5 with some Epic footage for a very close deadline. Then everything freezes up. At the moment I'm trying to copy essential files, and certain files always crash at a certain point. Every file has a different point, but it will always crash there. DiskWarrior rebuilt the directory without problems, and AJA System Test even did a quick run through without any problems. Drive Genius, however, crashed trying to do a longevity test, even before it began.

When any data hits its crash point, the Finder's copy window stops traveling across the screen, and acts like it stalled, no warning about data failure or file copy errors. The only way to get out of it is by relaunching Finder, and turning off the drive to get the relaunch to finish.

Activity lights on the drive at the point of freezing shows that the top drive has no activity, but the bottom one is constantly on. My suspicion is that the bottom drive is going bad, but isn't there completely. The files that pause are stretched across both drives, and then it freezes when it tries to grab data on the bottom drive. I've got a fan blasting at it, hoping its a heat issue.

This is my fastest drive, and it's very critical to making my deadline, so getting it back up and running is a very big goal at the moment. This couldn't happen at a worse time.

So, here's my first question: Is my diagnosis right, and am I really screwed?
And my second question: ...can I get a hug....?

Mathew
Honolulu, HI

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sohotank ST2 RAID-0: Am I screwed?
on May 5, 2012 at 2:05:15 pm

my initial opinion - you are screwed.
Drives are getting worse and worse. Having ARCHIVE BACKUP - and not just raid0, raid5, raid6, etc. is becomming essential these days. I see this more and more. As Ricardo from TekRam recently stated - RAID5 is not archive. And certainly RAID0 isn't either.

I feel your pain.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]