FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconfiguring my drives

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ilya Osovets
Reconfiguring my drives
on May 2, 2012 at 6:05:03 pm

I have a little time between jobs to do a nice clean up of my system. I feel it's a bit on the sluggish side these days. Especially with my drives.

My Current setup is a 2008 Mac Pro - 2.8Ghz 8 Core // 16GB RAM // 8800GT // Highpoint 4310 with 4 -1TB Drives in RAID 1/0 Running my OS and apps // Highpoint 4322 with 8 1TB drives in RAID 5 as my Media drives // Spare 650GB drive in the optical Bay.

I first got the 4310 to run my OS with 4 drives in RAID 5, Thinking this would improve overall OS and application speed and to have a little redundancy.

But I soon discovered that applications would hang if I was copying something from the internal RAID to the media RAID.

I tired RAID 0 and still had the same Issue. So I feel like running the OS from the RAID wasn't such a good idea.

I would really like to optimise the system so applications are not waiting on drives.

I was thinking of returning the OS and applications to the single drive configuration. I would use that 650GB drive as my main drive.

Then setting the 4 Internal drives on the 4310 card to RAID 0 and using them to Render my material too, while pulling all my main media from the 4322 RAID 5. And I would have an external drive as backup.

The other thought was to break up the internal RAID into two sets a RAID 0 (2TB) for renders and a RAID 1 (1TB) for all my other stuff, back ups and a Cache drive. Meaning I would point all Adobe products to cache files to the RAID 1. So everything gets split up.

I appreciate any input!

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Reconfiguring my drives
on May 3, 2012 at 11:22:02 am

A hang like that is almost certainly the fault of the high point driver. Regardless of your raid configuration, the machine should not hang. That's a bug.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Ilya Osovets
Re: Reconfiguring my drives
on May 3, 2012 at 4:22:26 pm

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. I thought highpoint was on the better side of RAID controller cards but looks like they have some work to do... which I'm not hopeful that they will.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]