FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATTO 380 S.M.A.R.T. Notification numbers

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Billy Johnson
ATTO 380 S.M.A.R.T. Notification numbers
on May 18, 2010 at 9:17:57 pm
Last Edited By Billy Johnson on Apr 2, 2015 at 2:55:58 am

We are putting the finishing touches on a new editing room. We just added a 16TB Sonnet R800 with a ATTO 380 in a Mac Pro 4x3Ghz. All of our gear is mounted in a Sound Construction ISO Box Post. Ambient temp in the room is 75 degrees exhaust from our rack is at 90 degrees. We just fired up the raid and have been monitoring temperatures since this is our fist time using a raid in a ISO Box we want to make sure it is getting enough air but we are having a little difficulty deciphering the temperature numbers that the ATTO380 sends through notification. I am assuming these numbers are pulled from the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drives and not the enclosure since this is a rather simple setup. We included the screen grab of the notification.

My questions:

-Does anyone know what these numbers are based off of? They can't be Celsius and if they are Fahrenheit our drives won't be lasting very long.

-Is this some arbitrary number, some scale that was developed? I ask because in doing research I found that the higher the number from 100 the better. This makes no sense to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Billy

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: ATTO 380 S.M.A.R.T. Notification numbers
on May 21, 2010 at 2:53:31 pm

Bill, I figured it out. Each line ends with a string that says,
-current value {142-153} worst value {142-153}. (or similar values).
It means, current temperature measurement, 142 degrees Fahrenheit, worst temperature measurement, 153 degrees Fahrenheit. These are limitations in the grammar of the computer code because it is regularly some kind of database. Temperatures as high as these on each hard drive are usually maybe 40 degrees above their average best value although it possible for the hard drive manufacturers to make high pet temperatures. At my location it`s the opposite. Some of the year I have to put hot jars in my hard drive boxes to warm them a couple of hours up to at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit (around 8 degrees Centigrade) then maybe switch the 115v. 220v. switch to 220 volts and let the machine turn on, unable to run, for a few minutes before I turn it off then start it regularly at 115v. It a good idea to probe real thermometers inside your hard drive boxes until you don`t have guesses. Some warm air is mixing with the hot air nearest the hard drives to make the exit temperature of 90 degrees.

Return to posts index

Billy Johnson
Re: ATTO 380 S.M.A.R.T. Notification numbers
on May 24, 2010 at 3:20:02 am
Last Edited By Billy Johnson on Apr 2, 2015 at 2:54:32 am

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

Question though, do you really think those numbers are Fahrenheit? I just have a hard time believing that my drives have not failed running one week at those temperatures. I have my Mac Pro rack mounted in my ISO Box as well and the numbers I pull from some temperature mounting software shows those drives running at 110, which is good. Just seems like the numbers from the ATTO card might be some arbitrary scale that I don't fully have the code for.

Thanks,

Billy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]