FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID speed comparison for Digital Cinema DIT work

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Percival
RAID speed comparison for Digital Cinema DIT work
on May 2, 2012 at 12:09:31 pm

Hi guys,

New to this forum as a member, but have been browsing topics for many years!

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice...?

I am working in house for a company producing videos - up until now on tape based cameras and DSLRs, but now moving into shooting on Red One/MX, Epic, Arri Alexa etc.

I have in place an 8-core Mac Pro with a lot of RAM, decent monitors etc. I have been using a Red Rocket to play back and transcode - although this is rented currently so we will be purchasing our own card.

I have also been backing up to three eSata drives (mainly GTechs) - one as my master backup, two as 'client drives'.

Now I think we should be going down the route of RAID - and specifically an external, RAID-5 level rackmount system.

It seems that mini-SAS is quite prevalent, and I've seen a number of setups which use this connector;

JMR Bluestor 16 bay 16TB - quite expensive, but as far as I can see a very fast option
Sonnet Fusion R800 8 bay 16TB - less money, but read/write figures a bit less
Proavio S8MS 8 bay 16TB - again at a lower pricepoint than the JMR - but can't really make out the read/write figures in RAID 5 for this...

What I'm saying is that I'm confused. As much as I can decipher, (obviously) the more you spend the faster the setup...

But how much difference will this make to me on set? If I need to backup to a RAID, then copy to 2x eSata drives, then transcode with the Red Rocket...am I going to struggle with using a Sonnet (for example) compared with something like the JMR?

Or, in anyone's experience, is an 8bay 16TB miniSAS RAID 5 array easily enough to handle a standard Red shoot (backups/transcoding)?

Sorry about the length of this post! Any help whatsoever would be appreciated...

Simon

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: RAID speed comparison for Digital Cinema DIT work
on May 2, 2012 at 4:17:21 pm

Simon,

You're welcome to email us for the benchmark speeds on the S8MS (my email is in my tag). We now have a new product, the 16 bay rack-mount, IS316JS (Introduced at NAB)http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/362/11 which is mini-SAS (expandable to 144TB) at 1200 MB/s.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

See our forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/proavio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>