FORUMS: list search recent posts

raid 0+1 question, and looking for comments (please be nice) lol

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Watson
raid 0+1 question, and looking for comments (please be nice) lol
on Apr 29, 2012 at 1:19:51 pm

heya,

im looking at doing my first raid which is not just a raid 0.

my old raid was 2x 600gb wd raptors,

but now im looking at doing a raid 0+1 but i was thinking about doing a raid 0 with 2 120gb ssd's and then raid 1 that with a 250gb 7200rpm drive or a 300gb 10,000rpm drive.

now my question is, would it be worth it, or would it just be a waste of time?

this is only an idea, cause if its not worth it, then ill most likely just do the 2x 120 ssd's and do regular backups.

cheers

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: raid 0+1 question, and looking for comments (please be nice) lol
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:08:09 pm

Joel, I would consider a pair of 120 GB SSD hard drives as practical for both JBOD (just a bunch of drives) as work drives, or as RAID 0 of the same drives. for regular (video taking) and regular editing purposes. I consider errors as already minimized for the money and work, when switching to good SSDs. Your typical high grade "250 GB" magnetic boot hard drive can get folders filled and erased on it for intermediate storage. By the way, save plenty of money for a backup, restore scheme. I tend to use 2-1/5 inch hard drives not 3-1/2 inch hard drives as a "slight imitation of SSDs". Fred Jodry

raid 0+1 question, and looking for comments (please be nice) lol by, Joel Watson on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:19:51 am

Heya, I`m looking at doing my first raid which is not just a raid 0.

My old raid was 2x 600gb wd raptors,
-but now im looking at doing a raid 0+1 but i was thinking about doing a raid 0 with 2 120gb ssd's and then raid 1 that with a 250gb 7200rpm drive or a 300gb 10,000rpm drive.
-Now my question is, would it be worth it, or would it just be a waste of time?
This is only an idea, cause if its not worth it, then I`ll most likely just do the 2x 120 ssd's and do regular backups.

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]