FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY RAID chassis using Areca 8026 expander

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Johnson
DIY RAID chassis using Areca 8026 expander
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:06:30 pm

I've seen some of the DIY RAID chassis builds here, and while perusing the site I also came across the Areca 8026 expander. By the looks of the unit, it appears that using this product in a DIY build would eliminate the need for a motherboard inside the chassis. Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Also, does the expander need some sort of configuration to achieve the high speeds required for 2k video?

If it does need to be configured, can this be done without using RS-422 connection on the expander?

And lastly, does anyone have experience with this expander and an Atto RAID controller. Specifically the R680?

...I am a DIY enthusiast, I can't resist saving money and getting to know how my products work more intimately...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DIY RAID chassis using Areca 8026 expander
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:42:35 pm

the ARC-8026 is a SAS expander that is a circuit board that gets mounted into a SAS/SATA chassis. This works with the Areca 1880, 1882x, and ATTO R680 card. So, are you going to figure out a way to mount the ARC-8026 inside a box, so you can have SAS expansion on your box? Isn't it easier to just buy a box that already has the ARC-8026 mounted inside it, with all the correct cabling to the motherboard, and SAS ports on the rear of the chassis (and the correct power supply). I didn't know that you wanted to get into manufacturing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jack Johnson
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:20:26 am

I imagine it's fair to say there's a lot you don't know about me. You're absolutely right, buying a box with an expander installed would be easier. There are a lot things in this world that offer simple and costly solutions. Which happens to be why I own quite a few plumbing tools.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28:20 pm

well, the ARC-8026 is great. Have fun getting it to a mother board (backplane), and getting the correct power
supply for it. Have fun mounting it into a chassis. IT will work wonderfully with your ATTO R680
or Areca 1882x.

Even the big boys like EditShare, Cal Digit, Sonnet, ProMax, Maxx Digital, Small Tree, etc. don't bother with this, and leave it to companies like AIC, JMR and CI Design.

Good luck

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]