Launching Areca 1882x GUI

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Launching Areca 1882x GUI
on Mar 31, 2012 at 7:13:31 pm

Hello Creative Cow,

(I'm using Snow Leopard)

I just reinstalled the Areca drivers (1882x) but am now having trouble accessing the mRAID Storage Manager. I didn't set that up initially and I don't have much experience using web browsers as a local host.

When I type in http://hocalhost:81 I get an all white page that reads:Safari can't open page "http://localhost:81/" because Safari can't connect to the server "localhost"

I've spent a lot of time trying learn what I'm supposed to do using the manual but I really can't make any sense of it.

I think if someone could help me to the ArcHttp Configuration page I might be able to figure it out from there.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Launching Areca 1882x GUI
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:58:02 pm

go to http://www.areca.com.tw
click on support
go to the Drivers section. Download the new driver package listed there. Install it.
reboot your computer.
You will be in business.

where did you buy the Areca card from, Chris ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Mar 31, 2012 at 9:48:39 pm

Thanks for the info.

I found those updates Friday.

I'm still not sure how to launch the Storage Manager.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:16:01 pm

you download the new MRAID Utility/Driver.
It puts MRAID on your desktop.
Reboot your computer.
Launch archttp64
it will ask for a name and password
name: admin
password: 0000
you are now in.

thats it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:16:53 pm

Chris -
if you want me to continue to assist you, please tell me
where you purchased the Areca 1882x card from.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:22:45 pm

Thank you fro the replies.

I bought the card from Newegg.

Regarding the ARC 1882 folder:

1. I'm not sure if all folders/files are needed for Snow Leopard.
2. I'm not sure if what is needed in the folder/s are an update to the driver or if it is the new full driver.

And to be honest. I don't even know how to open those .bin packages. I tried Stuffit Expander and Archive Utility. But neither worked.

I called Areca Friday Morning about the ARC 1882 folder but wasn't able to connect with anyone there on Friday. I was going to try again Monday.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:05:34 pm

Hello,

I came across this post looking for help with the same problem. Purchased the 1882x and ARC4036ML enclosure from Newegg. Got everything setup and installed the latest driver from Areca's website, verified the Mac is recognizing the RAID card, and rebooted.

Now I ran the archttp64 terminal command line as mentioned before, but after a few minutes it fails with the following error:

Starting HTTP Proxy Server...Please wait(MAX = 5 minutes)
CreateCFGSocket: Failed to bind(...), 60 Operation timed out
archttp64: IOServiceOpen failed
Controller(s) list
-------------------------------------------------------
Cfg Assistant : Listen to port[81].
Binding IP: [0.0.0.0]
Note: IP[0.0.0.0] stands for any ip bound to this host.
-------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:29:45 am

It's been a while now since I dealt with my problem and I don't remember all the ins and outs.

I do remember in the end I gave up on the Areca and bought an ATTO R680. The ATTO is much more user friendly if you are not experienced setting a RAID up (as I was not). Also the tech support from ATTO is a million times better than Areca. (I never could do much troubleshooting with the Areca because I could not afford to pay someone else to install it for me - which seemed to be the only option for my level of expertise)

So I never did figure out what the answer to this post was (because I returned the Areca).

In the end I did have a problem with my hard drives (which might have been the main problem with the Areca also) The drives simply didn't work with the equipment I had which gave me all kinds of headaches. It's possible that could be causing your problem too. In the end I bought Hitachi Ultra Drives. The ones I had originally were supposed to be fine... but they were not. Luckily Newegg accepted the return for those drives. Thank you Newegg!!

Since May my setup has been working. As I said, I use the ATTO R680 and an 8 drive ProAvio enclosure, with Hitachi Ultrastar drives.

Hope this helps a little

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 7, 2012 at 2:25:06 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply, so long after your original post. I actually got it figured out not long after my post though, and I'm pretty happy with everything now!

I first tried installing the drive from the disc that came with the RAID card, and it repeatedly crashed during install. So I downloaded the driver from the Areca website and installed that one, which didn't have problems installing, but I still couldn't access the RAID card. I ended up running the uninstaller, then upgraded to OS X 10.7.5, if that matters (from 10.7.4. This should be the last point update before Mountain Lion). Then rebooted and ran the downloaded driver again, and everything worked.

I didn't have the budget for Ultrastar drives, but my compromise was getting the 3TB WD Red drives, which are a little slower but still at least built for NAS. Still getting 766 MB/s write speeds on my RAID 5, which is plenty fast for me!

And Areca did call me back same-day, for the record. But I had it figured out by then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]