FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promise Pegasus slow data transfer

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Shamai
Promise Pegasus slow data transfer
on Feb 25, 2012 at 5:56:51 pm

Hi there,

I just bought the R6 and am using a RAID5 configuration with a 2011 MacBook Pro. I'm consistently getting about 150 or 200MB/s when transferring files (usually video) to and from the Pegasus. It also took twice as long as everyone says it does--a solid 20 hours--to synchronize/initialize the thing in the first place.

The AJA system test says I'm getting read and write speeds of 500 and 600MB/s, so I don't know what's going on.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
jason

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Promise Pegasus slow data transfer
on Feb 25, 2012 at 6:48:31 pm

[Jason Shamai] "I'm consistently getting about 150 or 200MB/s when transferring files (usually video) to and from the Pegasus."

What are you transferring from?

and

What is the speed of the reads from that?

If you're copying/moving data from a single hard drive that only reads at 25 to 50MB/sec, your Pegasus is not going to write at 500 to 600MB/sec.

The transfer of media from one drive to another is a two-way street...

[Jason Shamai] "It also took twice as long as everyone says it does--a solid 20 hours--to synchronize/initialize the thing in the first place."

FYI, everyone here on the Cow with a Pegasus has reported the same lengthy initialization time. The price of the Pegasus would be a lot higher if Promise spent 20-hours doing the initialization.

This is why you won't find any of the "premium" storage companies competing head to head with Promise at this price point. Companies like CalDigit, Maxx Digital, and ProMAX Systems, where I now work, configure, burn-in, and thoroughly test every hard drive subsystem that goes out the door.

And, for the record, these days, most new hard drives that fail do so in the first 24-hours. So, buying systems that are untested and not burned-in can really be frustrating. Imagine if one of your six drives came DOA and you had to wait several days for a replacement. You'd not be a happy camper. That's why most pros still buy from reputable VARs who specialize in video storage for media and entertain businesses, and why VARs still exist and thrive in spite of competition from outfits like B&H that service do it your-selfers.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jason Shamai
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:16:44 pm

Thanks, David.

I've been transferring straight from the hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I didn't think to do a test on that drive, and it's reading and writing around 60MB/s. Does that seem right, I'm a little new to this. Shouldn't this be the fastest path?

And I'm glad to hear 20 hours is common. I heard nothing but 10 hours anywhere I looked and thought I might have an issue.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:26:52 pm

[Jason Shamai] "I've been transferring straight from the hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I didn't think to do a test on that drive, and it's reading and writing around 60MB/s. Does that seem right"

Yes, that's right for a newer MBP, and there's your bottleneck. It's a bit like having a Ferrari, but trying to drive down the 405 freeway during rush hour - the car will do 175mph, but the traffic will only allow 20mph. Nothing's wrong with the car or the driver... :)

Once all your media is onboard the Pegasus you'll see tremendous improvements in realtime performance that will blow away what your system was capable of before.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jason Shamai
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:36:12 pm

Ok, great. Playback is what I really care about. I thought the bottleneck might be symptomatic of something else.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:09:40 pm

And as far as initialization time... we just got 2 R4's installed on 2 different iMacs. The first R4 initialized in about 12 hours, the second one took probably 35 hours! Same R4 enclosure, with same drives - vastly different init times.
TC

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:01:12 pm

[Todd Perchert] "And as far as initialization time... we just got 2 R4's installed on 2 different iMacs. The first R4 initialized in about 12 hours, the second one took probably 35 hours! Same R4 enclosure, with same drives - vastly different init times."

My Pegasus R6 took 25 hours to initiliaze, which was concerning because the instructions said 10 hours. It's been working well.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 27, 2012 at 1:49:36 am

David writes -
And, for the record, these days, most new hard drives that fail do so in the first 24-hours.

REPLY -
how true this is. And hard drives are worse than ever. If you don't test your hard drives before "jumping into the water" you are looking for disaster. I am shocked to see how many failures we see in brand new drives. And we just discovered in random testing the horrible performance of the new Seagate Constillation drives with both the ATTO and Areca host adaptors. Assume nothing. Test everything.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:16:08 am

Maybe I'm insane, but my Promise p6 was already pre-striped RAID5 and ready to rock when I purchased it in December. It gets read/writes in the 550MB/s range. I bought directly from Apple - maybe theirs come striped ahead of time? The was no initialization time.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:02:06 pm

Probably didn't read the instructions... ;) They do come setup as RAID-5, but they have a 'synchronization' that it does in the background. You may not have noticed the lights flashing on the unit - still works, just needs to do it's forever long synchronization.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]