FORUMS: list search recent posts

802.11ac - theoretically possible for wifi access to a SAN/NAS for video editing?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
802.11ac - theoretically possible for wifi access to a SAN/NAS for video editing?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:45:29 am

I've been reading a bit about the 802.11ac wifi standard (gigabit wifi via multiple antenna 5Ghz band transmissions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11ac), and I was just hoping to get some of the expert's opinions....

Will it be possible, using the new ac standard, to edit video wirelessly in the same way gigabit ethernet networks are used now? Or are there still some significant breakthroughs in speed/throughput necessary to have wifi SAN/NAS's for video applications?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 802.11ac - theoretically possible for wifi access to a SAN/NAS for video editing?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:15:04 am

this looks nice, but what's the point. You are going to potentially save running a 5 dollar cable ? In a critical enviornment, you would use a wired mouse, not a wireless mouse (like in a truck, etc.) because you can't risk losing the signal.

If you want to have your CLIENTS see what you are doing via WiFi, you can get a TeraDeck right now, which will broadcast the output of your system over WiFi, and turn it into h.264, so that all the clients can see what you are doing on their iPads. This can happen right now. But to actually edit this way - what are you gaining (besides the risk) - why not run an ethernet cable ? It's cheap.
This still won't help you with the need for the expensive drive array, etc. The client connection is the least of the expense of doing this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: 802.11ac - theoretically possible for wifi access to a SAN/NAS for video editing?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:00:20 am

I've just started looking into this. Much of the answer will depend on the devices themselves.
With gigabit, one of the key features is flow control. You have to have some means of applying back pressure to the sender in an efficient manner. To date, Wifi cannot do that (and you'll notice no one is saying the new wifi can).
One reason wifi can't do back pressure is that it's not full duplex. Only one side can talk at a time, and you'll see things like collisions. I'm not a wifi expert yet, but I know a lot about military radio waveforms. I'm assuming wifi is CSMA like many radios (carrier sense, multiple access). The upshot is you'll see collisions and things that will make it unsuitable when there are multiple machines around.

So the question becomes: can multiple antennas and multiple streams allow a device to do full duplex and flow control? Can a card be built that has multiple chips that can act as a "multiport" wifi card so it has higher bandwidth than the clients trying to access it? I'm trying to find that out.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 21, 2012 at 5:13:19 pm

If your wireless camera edit is in your truck at a news site your signal quality could suffer when broadcasters also taking in the scene fire up their one watt (or - - watts) intercity microwave feed with the signal just about going right through. I`d feel like going the opposite direction in technology and use fibre cable for it`s isolation quality. Just like Bob Zelin says, there`s no point to it.

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11:13 pm

ok, so we've established that serious editing is much better on a dedicated, wired connection.

For the sake of discussion, could you ACTUALLY do with the new wifi standard (even if it's not advisable)?

I guess my thoughts are leaning toward things like iPad controllers for a rough cut or a quad core MacBookPro not actually plugged in to anything ....you know, more like playing with an idea while sitting on your couch at home....rather than in an edit suite at the office....

Return to posts index

Matt Pedigo
on May 15, 2013 at 2:30:12 pm

According to Bob, technology hasn't much improved since 1978 so why even bother experimenting with something that will require little effort or money? You easily could just log onto Creative Cow, be told your ideas are dumb and a waste of time, then retreat back into your 1994 era edit bay to do things the way you've always done it.

I personally still use my CMX600 because no technology has improved upon what it originally accomplished.

Wireless editing!? You must be living in the future, fool!

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on May 15, 2013 at 3:18:56 pm

Wifi isn't inherently bad. It's just that anything you can do via wireless you can probably do better over wired. So when they finally get around to full duplex, 10Gb wireless, there will be 100Gb Ethernet. Maybe all the codecs will be tiny so it won't matter, but more likely, someone will be shooting 50k video and they'll need 20GB/sec to play it out.

Wired has the advantage of being shielded and being a better conductor of high frequency signals.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on May 16, 2013 at 4:49:02 pm

Let`s repeat this another way. One of the problems will show up when your computer`s loudspeaker suddenly starts playing a telephone call between your next door neighbor Grandma, and her dentist, as she says, "Dr. Franklyn, all of this week I`ve been enjoying a television editor on my computer, and the best part is that it`s unlimited and free. Just set your DNS to 127.0.0.1.2372 number 1 to connect through me and you too can edit out all of your tv commercials on my free NAS editor!" I can also see your LED lights blink almost enough when you try to run a 5-scene vignette dissolve render with attached midi audio keying, all through your magic antennae. I have a better tip. Try running all of your employees` keyboards, mice, editing knobs, monitors, and audio through the same hub to one super power computer on one user name, then use the NAS strictly for backup, recall. Here`s a way to step the computing power up instead of down, in other words, it`ll work like a charm. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]