FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Raid Card for Macpro 3,1 with future updates in mind

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McDonald
Recommended Raid Card for Macpro 3,1 with future updates in mind
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:17:14 am

I have a Macpro 3,1 with an Apple Raid Card (yah, I know) and four internal disks (2 Fujitsu 147G SAS 15K drives, 2 Samsung 1T SAMSUNG HD103UJ drives) all configured as JBOD. I also have (had) a Highpoint Rocketraid 3522 two port mini-SAS connected to a Proavio 8 bay external enclosure with short mini-SAS cables, and housing 5 HD103UJ drives in initially a raid 5 and subsequently raid 10. I won't contribute to the many Rocketraid trials & tribulations (except to say we would never have made it to orbit with this rocket). I've run OS 10.7.3 but backed out to 10.6.8.

I'm looking for a future-proof (e.g. 6gb) raid card or even HBA that has good support for Mac OS and doesn't require you to rip the card out and boot with Dos, etc. Considering ATTO, Areca, Caldigit, and OWC has cheap product (Newtech - looks suspiciously like 3522 - don't know what chip it's using). Recommendations for a card that would allow me to either replace Apple Raid card, or co-exist peacefully would be most appreciated.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Recommended Raid Card for Macpro 3,1 with future updates in mind
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:06:09 pm

As long as you continue to put price as the #1 thing that is important to you, you will continue to have problems. Other World Computing has an eSATA card for $49 that supports 6g drives. You tell me - how will that compare to a $1000 host adaptor from ATTO (RR680) or Areca (ARC-1882x).

You have already seen what happens when you stick with the Highpoint. And buy yourself some normal drives from Hitachi, Western Digital or Seagate, and an external drive enclosure. Do you want this to actually work ?

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

John McDonald
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:57:05 pm

Thanks. I concur although I was using an 8-bay SAS external enclosure from ProAvio which seems to have a reasonable reputation. John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:21:38 pm

you can continue to use your Proavio enclosure.

Bob

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:18:03 pm

John,

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
ProAvio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

John McDonald
on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:21:47 pm

Thanks! This enclosure has a 3 g/b SAS bus, I believe, so I am going to go with the Caldigit Raid card which will allow me to use only one Raid card, replacing the poorly supported Apple Raid card and the HPT 3522 and retain ability to use 8 drives. I started down this path because only the apple raid card and the hpt supported the Macpro 3,1 initially.

John

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:33:20 pm

John,

We'll have a 6Gb/s backplane on the EB800MS enclosure in the future.

Be aware that with external expansion with the CalDigit RAID card that only the CalDigit HDElement product is supported.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
ProAvio
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:14:05 am

John -
use an ATTO card. Everyone does (Sonnet, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, Small Tree, JMR).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John McDonald
on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:50:14 pm

Thanks, I called Caldigit and received this information. John

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:24:25 pm

Highpoint has no support and a confusing web interface which you're aware of already.

The Areca has kind of a weird terminal app you have to run before you can get into the web interface to manage the RAID.

ATTO is good on support, but updating their drivers and firmware is kind of a pain.

They're all different, but I do suggest getting 6Gbs drives and RAID card. Right now I'm liking the Areca 1882x. The benefit to the areca over the ATTO is that it has a built-in fan on the card and doesn't get as blazing hot as the R680. I'll be upgrading our enclosure to the 6Gbps one when ProAvio puts it out.

Here's a real world test for you.
ATTO R380 (3Gbps)
Eight 16 2Tb WD Caviar Blacks (3Gps)
ProAvio 8ms (3Gpbs)
Speeds about 600 Mbps read/write.

Areca 1882x (6Gbps)
Eight Hitachi Deskstars (6gps)
ProAvio 8ms (3Gbps)
Speeds at 930 Mbps read/write.

I can only imagine the faster enclosure coming from ProAvio will increase my speeds even more, especially if I daisy chain two of them, which seems to be possible with the Areca 1882x. Each 6Gpbs drive reads/writes at about 120-140 Mbps alone, so the Areca is absolutely maximizing the speed of seven drives in RAID5 (the 8th drive being redundant, obviously).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

John McDonald
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:32:58 am

Thanks. I have ordered an Areca 1882xi12, so I can replace my Apple raid card as well as drive the 8 drive ProAvio enclosure (using an 8087 to 8088 cable for one external port - hopefully won't have to use two such cables because of timing issues). Every question I asked of Areca was answered within 24 hrs, even though I don't own the product. That gave me some confidence that support was forthcoming.

Appreciate everyones feedback on this and other CC forums. Let's hope HD prices return to previous levels.

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:30:41 am

I have been using Areca 1882x with great results recently.

It's a teriffic purchase.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John McDonald
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:41:47 pm

Update on Raid in 2008 Macpro 3.1

Installed 1882X, driver and webGUI software, configured Raid-5 (5-1T drives), created raid (quickly compared to HP), mounted and partitioned - absolutely no issues, backed up four internal and one external Macbook Pro, cloned system disk and reinstalled on SSD - Highly recommended!

Software, tech support first rate, latter by engineers, not sales reps who would rather sell you a newer, presumably equally non-functional product.

Thanks to all advice.

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 12, 2012 at 8:48:41 pm

Told you that the 1882x card was teriffic.

This is a "newer" product. It just came out. The ARC-1880x was the "new" product in early 2011.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

rob curley
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:08:32 am

Yes but it's terrible if you want low latency. I haven't yet been able to tune it for multible streams and Areca support is yet to be desired.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]