FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cost-effective server for low-budget remote editing?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raven
Cost-effective server for low-budget remote editing?
on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:09:02 pm

Working on a feature-length documentary with footage stored on a 3TB G-Raid across the country from me.

Never set up a server in my life. If I want to offer my employer a few options for putting all the footage onto a server, what are some of the easier and/or cheaper ways to do it?

Huge thanks for helping out.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Cost-effective server for low-budget remote editing?
on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:39:20 pm

I don't think there's a solution if your intent is to edit over the network from some remote server. The latency using an ISP is way to variable.

I think your best bet is to figure out a way to move the footage via something like dropbox so you can edit locally and move things back and forth. You might want to spring for a 50Mb/sec internet connection.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:13:20 pm

Thanks so much, Steve.

Right now, I actually just need access to the clips as I pull bites from transcripts and double-check the clips for accurate time code. Is there no configuration that would allow me to occasionally open files from a server, one-at-a-time, without the painful latency variability on an ISP?

If I were to go ahead and edit, the plan would be to download all the footage files from Dropbox/server to my own drive, and then edit locally. And that's where the 50Mb/sec will definitely be useful.

I appreciate your help!

Dave

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:12:08 pm

[Dave Raven] "Right now, I actually just need access to the clips as I pull bites from transcripts and double-check the clips for accurate time code. Is there no configuration that would allow me to occasionally open files from a server, one-at-a-time, without the painful latency variability on an ISP?"

Hi Dave
I don't know of a solution like you're describing short of a leased line. That's really expensive. Even if you had 50Mb connections on both sides, you can't guarantee what lives in the middle. Moving between ISPs can introduce lots of odd connections. (Small Tree has two offices and we play with this sort of thing a lot for our phones. At one point, we had packets going to Colorado because of the weird connection between comcast and centurylink).

Shipping drives is not so bad. Obviously we ship a lot of RAID drives (with configured RAID volumes) and they turn up just fine.

Steve

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:18:50 pm

Thanks, Steve! I appreciate your patience.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:58:12 pm

you are low budget ? Not going to happen.
Can't you afford another 3TB G-RAID, and have them ship you the footage ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:16:30 pm

Just a bit worried about damage to the hard drive when shipping. Can you recommend a safe method of shipping sensitive stuff like a hard drive full of footage?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:54:20 pm

I ship drives between LA and Orlando all the time. IT's called a PELICAN case. When you mail order a drive from NewEgg, B&H, or Other World Computing- they ship it in a cardboard container with plastic shock liners. That's how we all get our drives.

This is going to start my usual rant about being "cheap". I don't give a crap how low budget your job is. If you can't afford a Pelican case that is foam lined to ship your G-Tech 3TB drive
safely back and forth, then you should not be involved in making a low budget production. When you bought the G-Tech 3TB it came in a box. This box had cardboard shock suppression so you could ship the drive all over the place. This costs ZERO. Didn't you save this packing material ? If no, can't you buy a Pelican foam case ? If the answer is "no, we just have no money on this project, because it's so low budget" - then guess what - you aint' doing bi coastal editing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:17:43 pm

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:20:30 pm

you are supposed to insult me at this point.

Bob

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:28:00 pm

[Bob Zelin] "you are supposed to insult me at this point."

Your mother was a hamster etc etc...

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:23:15 pm

..... and your father smelled like elderberries.

My wife said that when he didn't insult me after my smart ass comments, that made him "win". Maybe he will change his mind, and eventually write back what a SOB I am.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:16:50 am

[Bob Zelin] "My wife said that when he didn't insult me after my smart ass comments, that made him "win"."

A whole side to Bob is revealed that we never knew about...

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:56:56 pm

[Bob Zelin] "you are supposed to insult me at this point."

Classic.

Jonathan Schilling | Vertical Sales Manager
ProAvio
562-324-6500

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:07:09 am

Did I miss my chance? I can come up with something!

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jan 25, 2012 at 8:25:18 pm

So I did some quick maths as a "for example" of what it would cost to host 3TBs on Amazon S3... it's about $390/mo... Seems maybe a bit high, but it would be fast and accessible. You could do something like Backblaze (unlimited desktop backup service) that's only like $5/mo but it will super slow. If there was something in between, what would you be willing to pay monthly (per TB?).

Alternatively you could rent some space at a data hotel, throw a server in there, etc., but then you have to also worry about backups, server admin, etc.

A big question also is of course what size files are you working with and what kind of time do you have to send/receive them?

My company has some really good cloud storage available that we could possibly resell if it suits your needs, or maybe some other service could be recommended.

The big question is of course the Bob Zelin factor, "DO YOU HAVE A REAL BUDGET? IF NOT GO HOME."

Return to posts index

Dave Raven
on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:41:35 pm

Thanks so much, David. Sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]