FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
RAID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives
on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:37:30 am

Hi folks, I've been having an interesting and illuminating discussion with David Roth Weiss over on the Final Cut Pro Forum about RAID 5 over firewire. I think he might be getting tired of all my newbie questions so I thought I'd post in here as I only just realised there was a specific RAID related forum. Any further contributions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to know more about this and really understand more the reasons behind the advice I have been given. You can see the discussion here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1149689#1149977

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: RAID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:10:59 pm

Mr. Weiss is quite knowledgeable. He made a great point about reliability. There are boxes that do have a dedicated hardware raid controller, such as the Sonnet Fusion - http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion400qr5.html
It would be much more than what you were looking at spending, but should be more reliable. I don't have personal experience with it, but others on here might.
TC

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
Re: RAID 5 Advice for both enclosure and HD drives
on Dec 23, 2011 at 6:52:43 am

Hi Todd, thanks for your response.

The product I have looked at (and can get here in China with minimum hassle for $250) has good reviews. I am assuming it also has a dedicated RAID controller otherwise it would not work.

I'm guessing that this product hasn't been tested on video editors.

When you talk about reliability do you mean that the RAID may not re-build itself properly should (or when) one of the internal hard drive fail because it is cheap and most likely made of cheap components.

Or do you mean that because it is cheap the hard drive failure is more likely?

I'm assuming it is the former. It sounds like a Risk not worth taking I guess. Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]