FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to build new Raid 5 arrays (Reccomendations)

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Looking to build new Raid 5 arrays (Reccomendations)
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:50:03 pm

I have some raid0s set up that I backup constantly, but I am running out of space and need a new storage solution;

I want the stability of Raid5 but I also want raid0 speeds;

I was thinking if I had two external RAID5s on eSata and then put them on a RAID0 through software raid, that would be really fast(right?), and I would still have one huge drive for all my stuff with redundancy? does that sound like a bad idea? I want to get at least 250Mb/s r/w speeds because everyone knows how fun it is to render multilayered HiDef chroma keys!
But my real question is, would that be stable and fast? and either way what products would you recommend? I am on a 2008 Mac Pro and have a 4 port eSata in my PCIe slot. I don't have a specific budget, but I need to give multiple options to my higher ups and they will decide how much money I get for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

edit:
also I am not looking for anything rackmounted or networked
and the final array should be 6-10TB

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 10GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Looking to build new Raid 5 arrays (Reccomendations)
on Dec 27, 2011 at 3:49:33 pm

Chris, it sounds like an Active Storage Inc. unit is a great match for you. It has some video specialities like metadata monitoring already built in, while compared to the price of its 16 to 24 hard drive bays that typically get maxxed out after some years, the price of fibre card hookup is negligible. You should have no grief with its type of networking. Ask how to integrate backup, and delegate some money for that. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]