FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redundant Storage for small editing set-up

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harold Batista
Redundant Storage for small editing set-up
on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:41:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a data storage system, I'm getting lost in the RAID1-6/X, NAS, SAS etc options.
We produce roughly 40-50GB of Video files a week (both raw source and exported material).
I edit everything in ProRess 422 on a 8 core MacPro.
I am the only editor who needs to access these files.
To cover us until our next budget cycle I need anywhere between 8TB-12TB of storage.
I want to be able to import, edit, and archive all files on the same RAID system, such that this data will all be backed up.
We have a budget of $2,000.
Are there any options out there that can help us?
Thank you,
-Harold

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Redundant Storage for small editing set-up
on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:07:32 am

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0F12450/

three of these insde your MAC Pro will give you 9TB of storage.
It will cost you $630 complete. Look at all the money I just saved you ! Now, what do I get from you ?

Bob Zelin

ps -
you say "I want to be able to import, edit, and archive all files on the same RAID system". So you want to archive on the SAME drives that you are doing your actual work on. When you learn how to do this, please let me know, because it will be quite a feat to archive your files on the SAME DRIVES that you are working on - especially when they fail.

Return to posts index

Harold Batista
on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:51:37 pm

Well perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought that the way RAID systems worked is that when a file is written to one drive it is simultaneously written to another drive in case the first fails. Unless I'm missing something crucial, I do not understand why my question is misplaced.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:12:23 am

Harold -
I don't mean to be rude, but I am sure you (as others) will take it that way. Creative Cow has lots of wonderful advertisers that sell PROFESSIONAL drive solutions. And everyone of these companies sells PROFESSIONAL arrays, and they sell crap. Cal Digit, Maxx Digital, Sonnet, G-Tech, etc, etc. all do it. They sell the good stuff, and they sell the bad stuff. And the bad stuff is cheap - under $2000 for a RAID array, as your original post requests.

SO, lets take our new friend Seagra, who has responded to your post.
I never heard of Seagra, but they are doing the same thing that everyone else is doing - selling cheap crap, and selling excellent products -
for example -
this is excellent from Seagra -

http://www.seagra.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_79&...

This is the Seagra SpiderRAID. It is a high speed, true RAID 5 array, with a high quality host controller, redundant power supplies, proper cooling, etc. And I am sure it is above your budget.

Now, here is some crap that Seagra is selling -
http://www.seagra.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_72&...

this is a PDE chassis with probably a DATOptic or Highpoint cheap raid controller card, that will probably fail when you have a failed drive. It is NOT the same product as the excellent Seagra array I first pointed out to you.

If you have no money, I suggest that you save your money, and get some bare drives, and maybe backup once in a while. And when you save up some money, then BUY A PROFESSIONAL PRODUCT. Our new friend Seagra sells them ! This will be a reliable solution for you (and so will lots of other companies that you see advertise here on Creative Cow).

There ain't no free lunch.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Atul Talati
on Oct 25, 2011 at 6:30:27 pm

Bob,

We are the manufacture of the RAID controller since 20+ year. We use PDE chassis for enclosure only. Fibre Channel RAID Controller Design and Manufacture in Irvine, USA by Seagra Technology,Inc.

Seagra Technology, Inc Started in 2007. Please try and recommend our product and you will see. Our target is Broadcast industry our RAID V which is the best of RAID 3 and RAID 5 and it is complete hardware RAID with Seagra IP.
Do not need any host Software for configuration. It is plug and play product. we have taken away all of the configuration complication by just flipping the switch. We have put our 20+ year experience into it.

Our STSRFC4-X 5Bay RAID controller is 350MB/Sec sequential Read/Write with 1MB I/O size.

Atul Talati
Seagra Technology, Inc
14252 Culver Drive #A129
Irvine, Ca 92604
(949)419-6796(Voice)
(949)419-6437(Fax)
http://www.seagra.com
e-mail:atul@seagra.com

Return to posts index

Atul Talati
on Oct 24, 2011 at 5:01:16 pm

Hi,

Seagra Technology, Inc has a perfect product for small editing set.
Please check out the web site for the product. It is plug and play also has fibre channel interface. STSRFC4-X it is easy to install with MAC, PC or linux OS. It is in the range that you are looking for.

Atul Talati
Seagra Technology, Inc
14252 Culver Drive #A129
Irvine, Ca 92604
(949)419-6796(Voice)
(949)419-6437(Fax)
http://www.seagra.com
e-mail:atul@seagra.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:28:43 am

Harold,

I suggest taking a look at the Wiebetech RTX 220-QR. You put in two bare drives (no trays required) and run it in RAID 1, which just mirrors your data, so if one drive fails, you have another with the same data. At the end of the day, you take one drive out and put it in a DriveBox and store it in a fireproof safe or take it offsite with you. When you run out of space, you put in two new drives and go from there. A possible downside is the speed. Over ESATA, you'll get around 100MB/s. This is fine for my workflow with AVCHD.

$500 for the RTX 220-QR
+$500 for some drives
+$1,000 for a decent fireproof safe
=$2,000 budget!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:19:59 am

[Harold Batista] "I want to be able to import, edit, and archive all files on the same RAID system, such that this data will all be backed up."

RAIDs [link] allow you to spread your data across multiple drives that act as a single volume. Each of the RAID levels are different mixes of speed, capacity, and redundancy. Some are fast, big, and not redundant. Others are slower, smaller, but more redundant. Redundancy in this case means only that your data can survive the failure of at least one (or possible more) of the drives in the RAID set.

I think it's important to note that RAID IS NOT BACKUP. RAID (with redundancy) ONLY protects you against the loss of data due to drive failure, but there are plenty of other ways to lose data: filesystem corruption, accidental deletion, RAID controller failure, multiple simultaneous disk failures, fire, flood, theft, etc. RAID will not help you with any of these.

You will need a separate plan for backup or archive.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]