FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Tonelli
Thunderbolt
on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:27:44 pm

Is Thunderbolt/Promise Technology 12TB Pegasus R6 RAID Storage with Thunderbolt (6x 2TB) better solution than Caldigit HD2 Pro? Specs are the same but the price of Promise is much lower.

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Thunderbolt
on Oct 16, 2011 at 11:06:24 pm

Ok Everyone
Please forgive me because I am about to go BOB ZELIN on you. Why would you put so much focus on price and not quality and a good track record? There is no question that companies like Caldigit,Sonnet and Maxx Digital are way better at servicing their customers than large advertisers like Promise,Lacie and Gtech.

What does your media mean to you? If you were to fly to NYC from LA would you take a well advertised Airline that had a not so good safety record just because it was cheaper?

These smaller companies charge more because they go through the aggravation of testing real world editing situations so you the customer can benefit.

Call me crazy but media is your life's blood so i would say to protect it with the right solution and not the cheapest one. As far as Thunder Bolt goes there are still bugs even with the boxes the are shipping. I say use equipment that is proven until the TB bugs are all worked out. It should be soon we hope but many companies like Maxx digital are waiting for Intel to release chip sets so the bugs can be worked out.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Jared Picune
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:03:58 pm

Specs are actually not very close. HDPro2 is 8 drives and can hit 800 MB/s in RAID 5.

Check out this video to see the HDPro get over 100MB/s better performance with Thunderbolt.

Jared Picune CalDigit. Serious Storage.

Return to posts index

Bruno Tonelli
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:20:19 pm

Ok.
I understand that TB solutions has not such good performance. But the relation cost X benefits is my main question. I have 4 mac pros, a Red One Camera and Canon 5D. Its too expensive to buy 4 HD2 pro. I live in Brazil and the price here is too high for that. Do you belive that TB solution will solve my problem to handle those files?
Tks!

Return to posts index

Jared Picune
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:51:56 pm

If you are only dealing with the RED and Canon 5D you might not need speeds that the HDPro2 can provide. You might look at the HDOne or HDElement.

You are looking to get 4 units?

Jared Picune CalDigit. Serious Storage.

Return to posts index

Bruno Tonelli
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:17:33 am

At first, I think that I can buy for two.
I took a look on HDOne. Sounds very good.
Tks!

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:27:26 am

Bruno
Please contact me via email and I can give you some RED clients in Brasil ,Argentina and Uruguay to talk to about workflow needs.We work very close with RED customers and I think are contacts in South America can help you make a decision.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Atul Talati
on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:41:25 pm

Bruno,

I am not sure why you need to go to Thunderbolt. You can do same thing with Fibre Channel instead.

What you need is only one STSRFC4-X and one STF400PE.
Total cost would be around $2000.00. Which will do the job.

Please take a look at our product. It is design and manufactured in California, USA.

Atul Talati
Seagra Technology, Inc
14252 Culver Drive #A129
Irvine, Ca 92604
(949)419-6796(Voice)
(949)419-6437(Fax)
http://www.seagra.com
e-mail:atul@seagra.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]