FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID0 or 1 - Newbie Seeks (Simple) Advice

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Knight
RAID0 or 1 - Newbie Seeks (Simple) Advice
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:35:25 pm

1. If one does the RAID version that mirrors two identical OS drives to boost performance, what happens when one installs new software or has a Windows 7 update on one of them? Does one also have go and install in on the second?

2. Will such a RAID setup do much for sequential read/write of files on other drives for apps such as Vegas, Cubase and the like? From what I know, not much -- just faster OS and apps launch.

My system specs and configuration:

- Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
- AMD 6-Core 1092 Black 1092 3.2 Ghz (x 6 since these are actual cores)
- Gigabyte SATA II/II and RAID0/1 compatible mobo
- 16 Gb. DDR3
- Drives - all internal:
--- C:OS and Applications only
--- D:All project and media files (video, images, audio),
--- E:Production (test and master renders),
--- F:My Documents, Misc. non-video/audio files and temp directories
--- Z:Backups 1
--- X:Backups 2 (yet to be created)
--- Emergency OS clone - disconnected

Main drives are currently SATA II but need to buy new OS drive and am considering Seagate Momentus XT SSD 500 Gb. Hybrid instead of SSD (due to cost and fluctuations in overall SSD market). I also don't have the funds to buy dedicated RAID hardware - I'm using what my mobo has.

If I decide to go that route, I'm considering getting 3 identical 500 Gb. XTs (due to great price at the time of writing this post): 2 for the RAID setup and one to replace the current disconnected Emergency OS clone. If not, I'll get regular 7200 RPM mechanical SATA drives.

Thanks for your input.

~ Philip

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: RAID0 or 1 - Newbie Seeks (Simple) Advice
on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:39:32 am

[Philip Knight] "1. If one does the RAID version that mirrors two identical OS drives to boost performance, what happens when one installs new software or has a Windows 7 update on one of them? Does one also have go and install in on the second?"

What RAID are you talking about?

Just to clarify-

RAID 0- Increased performance, no loss in storage capacity, no redundancy. The two drives show up as one (i.e. two 1TB drives in RAID 0 show as a single 2TB drive). Data is spread across the drives, you will lose all data if one drive fails. *Fast*

RAID 1- No performance gain (well, potential slight read speed gain, minimal loss in write speed), 50% storage capacity loss, redundant. This is a Mirrored set, everything that you do is done on both drives with no additional input. The pair will show up as one drive (i.e. two 1TB drives in RAID 1 will show up as a single 1TB drive). Data on each drive is identical, the set will continue to work even if one drive fails. *Safe*

I don't think that RAID 0 is going to give you much benefit as an OS drive, SSD's will give a significant boost though. IMO, use RAID 0 for your media and run your backups regularly or look into hardware RAID 5 etc.

[Philip Knight] "2. Will such a RAID setup do much for sequential read/write of files on other drives for apps such as Vegas, Cubase and the like? From what I know, not much -- just faster OS and apps launch."

No, RAID 0 as an OS drive will not improve the read/write performance of files on other drives.

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
Re: RAID0 or 1 - Newbie Seeks (Simple) Advice
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:19:43 am

Thanks, David.

This post was actually kind of the tail end of a slightly compulsive attempt to educate myself on and possibly implement RAID0 or RAID1 that began at the Sony Vegas forum.

Your conclusions seem to jive with the overall sense I get:

Unless one can afford dedicated hardware for the other RAID 2-5 - which if one is serious, ain't cheap - it's really not worth it for me to do 0 or 1. It could turn into more headaches just for the sake of trimming off a few seconds or minutes of boot, application read/write and render times.

Besides, for the latter there is always the leave-it-running-and-render-overnight option :o)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]