Sonnet vs. G-Tech

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jef Huey
Sonnet vs. G-Tech
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:02:07 pm

Hi all,

I am currently comparing the two following drive systems:

1. Sonnet Fusion D400QR5 and E4P PCIe host.

2. G-SPEED eS 4-BAY RAID Array and PCIe Controller kit.

I will be utilizing the Raid 5 feature on a 2008 Harpertown MacPro with DNxHD and ProRes material. Looking for user feedback to help me make a choice. Also willing to look at other products with similar feature / price point.

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Sonnet vs. G-Tech
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:52:45 pm

The two products you're looking at are essentially identical. Both are reasonable in every way. You will lose approx. 25% of your storage with a RAID 5 config, so four drives can get tight real fast, so you might want to consider 3Tb hard drives.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 20, 2011 at 1:36:46 am

[David Roth Weiss] "The two products you're looking at are essentially identical"

The Sonnet Fusion box is closer to G-Speed Q I think: controller in the box, quad interface.

G-Speed eS is much faster due to separate eSATA links to each drive, but also much less portable since the RAID brain is on the controller that's in the host computer.

If speed and reliability is important, I'd go with G-Speed eS Pro. If portability is - G-Speed Q or the Sonnet Fusion box.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 20, 2011 at 4:13:56 pm

Sonnet support is dramatically better than G-Tech support.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:41:16 pm

Thanks for the input so far.

Portability is not a big deal in this application.

So the conundrum is better performance or better support.

I have had trouble finding performance specs on the Sonnet product that can be used in comparison.

Jef

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 21, 2011 at 5:49:03 am

Unlike Sonnet, G-Tech is here on the forum and actually providing support, as well.

I haven't dealt with Sonnet support - G-Tech's support however was more than gracious and helpful in the 10+ years of my doing business with them.

[Jef Huey] "I have had trouble finding performance specs on the Sonnet product that can be used in comparison."

"Data Transfer Speed: Up to 225 MB/s, depending on drives, interface(2), and configuration."

I was also dead wrong regarding performance - G-Speed eS only has one eSATA port, meaning it won't be faster than the Fusion box all other things being equal. In fact its RAID5 numbers are rather unimpressive at below 200MB/s. Its main advantage is simplicity and expandability: using a RAID controller with multiple eSATA ports, you can create a large (and very fast) array.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:27:20 pm

basing my response strictly to Alex's line card on DV411, Dulce Systems is another company that
makes excellent products, that will give you superior support - and Alex sells these products as well.
You will get much greater performance from the Dulce line than from G-Tech.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:06:37 pm

Thanks Bob and Alex,

Good info. I went to the DV411 site and did not see Dulce products.
I may contact them directly.

Thanks again,

Jef

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 21, 2011 at 9:46:39 pm

Quite a few things on the web site are outdated.

Depending on the workflow, my favorite setup for a DAS array is a 6G MiniSAS box ($500-1700 4-8 bay) with a decent (ATTO, Areca) RAID controller. It will be $500-1200 more expensive than an eSATA or "quad-interface" boxes, and will suit mostly performance-oriented workflows.

Single eSATA and quad-interface boxes are inherently cheap (not in a good way) because nobody makes decent yet inexpensive eSATA or multiple-interface controllers. That for now is the domain of MiniSAS.

Personally, I don't trust the RAID5 protection these boxes offer. I don't trust that in the event of drive failure they will do all the right steps to perform a complex procedure of disengaging the bad drive, accepting a new one, and rebuilding the array.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:41:29 am

Jef
Here is amother option that we could offer. maybe Alex could sell this to you.

http://www.maxxdigital.com/evo-vr-maxx-digital.html

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:57:42 pm

Thanks for the info Ron. I will give it a good look.

Cheers,

Jef

Return to posts index

Atul Talati
on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:05:34 pm

Hi Jef,

I know you are comparing two product. Please take a look at the Seagra Technology, Inc Fibre Channel RAID V Storage Product. Which is designe and manufactured in USA and very cost effective compare to SAS/SATA RAID. Performance 350MB/Sec. Expand as you need more storage. It is Desktop version.

Take a look at the following product:
STSRFC4-X and STF400PE. We provide complete solution and it is plug and play. Its been tested with your environment.

Visit our Web Site.

Atul Talati
Seagra Technology, Inc
14252 Culver Drive #A129
Irvine, Ca 92604
(949)419-6796(Voice)
(949)419-6437(Fax)
http://www.seagra.com
e-mail:atul@seagra.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved