FORUMS: list search recent posts

Same RAID, Same Mac, Two Different OS's

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Browning
Same RAID, Same Mac, Two Different OS's
on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:18:16 am

Hi all,

Been considering adding an SSD to my Mac Pro to run Lion, while keeping my current boot disk intact.

My RAID was set-up with Disk Utility, so I assume it's a software only RAID.

My question is, will the RAID configuration be read-and-write-able on both boot disks? If, hypothetically, I want to work on a project in Lion, but then go back to my Snow Leopard drive to use some legacy software (not currently a need, just looking ahead), would I be able to do this with no problems?

I've read that some folks lost their RAID when moving to a fresh install of Lion because their RAID was software-based. Their partitions were lost because it was created and read only on that particular boot disk.

As a background note, I've never moved the RAID or tried to use it on a different set-up. I simply would like to know if my RAID configuration will stay intact before I go trying to use two different boot disks.

Thanks
Mike Browning

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Same RAID, Same Mac, Two Different OS's
on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:02:00 pm

most raid technologies store their setup data on the drive volume headers. The idea is that they can move elsewhere or even move to a new controller (of the same brand) and function.

In my experience, some vendors intentionally don't mount raids when they are moved to a new system because it's assumed the volume may be shared. So you have to explicitly mount it the first time. (For example, you may have to tell Atto to automap the device).

I don't know about apple's mechanism.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Mike Browning
Re: Same RAID, Same Mac, Two Different OS's
on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:12:26 pm

Thanks Steve.

Many of my fears are articulated in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1192277.html

I'd hate to boot up in Lion and discover my RAID partition has been destroyed. I also have a RAID 1 for Time Machine system backup. Wouldn't be an absolute tragedy, but it would sure cost a lot of time.

Anyone on the COW have experience with Lion and their RAID yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]