FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 5 Array to Non-Raid

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Deck
RAID 5 Array to Non-Raid
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:21:21 pm

Hi there,

3 years ago I built my own Computer and decided to go with an RAID 5 Array (Software only). I thought since I have a Quad Core (Q6600) the performance would still be great.
Well not really. It bogs my Computer down quit a bit. So I know there is no EASY way to go back to No-Raid. I have 3 500GB drives in my Array. I would like to keep all my installed programs etc but basically redo my drives. I got plenty of additional HD's. I got another 500GB No-Raid in the Tower as well as a 2TB and a 640 GB External Drive. So How can I "Backup my System the way it is and rebuild it in NO-Raid ??

Any Help is appreciated,

Matt

Return to posts index

Tony Segreto
Re: RAID 5 Array to Non-Raid
on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31:53 pm

Here is my advice, and what I do. I would separate your boot drive from your archive/documents/media/work drive. Make your boot drive an SSD or Raid 0. Your boot drive can have all your work applications and games or whatnot. Back it up via a software image backup.

For your archive/working/media drive, through it into a Raid 1 or multiple raid ones. This way you have the safest type of redundancy for your data.

This is what I have going on at the moment:
WD Black 640GB boot drive (soon getting an SSD)
(2) WD Black 1TB Raid 1 - Current Projects/documents/music
(2) Hitachi Green 3TB Raid 1 - Archive of old projects

As far as backing up your items for the crossover, I would move all your documents/media to an external with a backup, and then make an image of your boot drive with all of your applications. Throw that on some drives as well.

http://www.VigilanteHD.com

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: RAID 5 Array to Non-Raid
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:16:50 pm

And, yet another thought... Definitely keep your system drive and media separate, that will bog down your computer. I wouldn't worry about a Raid for the system drive, but using one drive and imaging it to another drive for backup. Then do what you were looking at with the RAID-0 for media and backup that daily. If you are able to, get a good, dedicated hardware RAID controller and do RAID-5 for media that way, but you will still want to backup daily. As others will point out, RAID-5 is not backup.
Good Luck! TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]