FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does the computer remember the RAID?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Pope
Does the computer remember the RAID?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:56:12 pm

I have a Mac Pro. I recently pulled out three drives that were RAIDed together (striped) and replaced them with three new, bigger drives, which I also RAIDed together.
Here's my question, if I put the old drives back in, does the it remember the RAID and I can still access what is on those drives, or is everything that was on there essentially lost?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Does the computer remember the RAID?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:35:19 pm

Usually the computer setup just sees the returning Raid drives as a detected partition (or a couple of them) and you`ll soon be rolling. It`s only if software updates, new software, or viruses, go attacking that you have problems, and in these cases it`s the usual, big computer, little you. If the Raid drives are subjects of an Operating System drive, then you drop them back in, detect them properly and there`s certainly the possibility that there`s little or no trouble. If the Operating System was installed (split?) into the Raid drives then you should roll the clock (date) back in the setup of the computer to barely later than their retirement`s date and re- introduce them the easier than easy way. If you made the mistake of putting your production computer on the internet and antivirus programming it (with the old Raid in use) then you`re usually in for the big surprise of a big attack from maybe both antivirus software and viruses, so you`ll be reaching for the help of the usual data rescue business.

Return to posts index

Sam Pope
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:49:36 pm

The operating system is on a totally separate drive, not included in the RAID. So just to clarify, if I put the three drives, included in the RAID, back into the computer, then it should remember the RAID and I should be able to access the information stored on those drives?
The real problem is that I have take the new drives out and I don't want to lose the information that is on them.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:31:42 pm

Assuming you`re not using your production computer as a, the, typical internet beast you should actually see no problems at all. Backing up the data from the new drives, even if on borrowed maedia, is the safer than safe, safety step you can use. You`ll be able to swap those Raid sets endlessly, just like you wish.

Return to posts index

Sam Pope
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:02:09 pm

Thanks Fred.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:14:59 am

It remembers the Raid.

If you have (for example) and old Firmtek 2 bay RAID 0 chassis, with two drives in it, and you put this external array on your shelf for 1 year, and next year, you take out the SATA drives from the external RAID, and put them into your MAC Pro directly (inside with no chassis, and no RAID controller card), they will just pop up, like they were always in there.

I have done this numerous times. It works.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 3, 2010 at 12:46:28 am

[Bob Zelin] "It remembers the Raid. "

Bob,

There are some caveats to this. If for instance, you created the RAID on an Intel Mac, better not try to move it to an older Power PC Mac, cuz it won't remember the RAID config. I've been stung by that one.

BTW, if you created the RAID on an older Power PC Mac, then move it to an Intel Mac, that does work, and it does remember the RAID config.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:30:03 pm

Hi All,
I believe the answers to these questions are,
1.Yes: 2.Yes If 3 is a No: 3:Yes: 4:Think So
but just to be sure, Here's the scenario:
Two Mac Pros in two different locations

1. Can I physically pack it up (the Raid)
and send it from one to the other?

2. Do I have to send the controller card along with it?

3. Can I buy the same controller card (Atto 380) for the 2nd
location and keep the original card in the first Mac?

4. Do both Macs have to have the same versions of OS and FCP & Atto
drivers?

Basically I want to be able to Move the Raid back and forth
between two locations.(100 miles apart) Material would mostly be loaded at one location.
What should I be looking for here so I don't wind up with
a telephone pole up my butt?

Thanx

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:43:07 pm

Neil,

I have a CalDigit HDOne configured as RAID 5 via hardware and I can move it between machines without any issues whatsoever.

However, do keep in mind, the CalDigit RAID products and many similar RAID enclosures from many of the other big manufacturers have onboard RAID chips built into their enclosures, and their PCI cards in the computer serve only as bridge cards to the PCI bus, so that could conceivably make a difference.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]